file Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
2 years 7 months ago #20854 by Atheist Antichrist
I just came back to the game last week. Hadn't played it since 2000 or 2001. I recently rediscovered FreeSpace 2 which got me thinking about I-War 2. I never expected it to run on Windows 10, but here I am. I-War 2 is the best game of it's kind. I have Elite Dangerous, but haven't really played it because it seems to have quite a learning curve and I just haven't found the time or inclination to deal with it. I-War 2, on the other hand, I already know how to play and after the enhanced textures mod which I rebuilt with some modifications of my own I am in love with I-War all over again. in 2021.

"It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"
-Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarxis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #20855 by Sarxis
Elite Dangerous is a very open world online game. It does have some I-War feel to it, but there's not a concise story at all to play through; at least, I never got around to playing through any sort of story missions as I already knew I didn't want to grind through Elite Dangerous' sort of online play to advance my character.

That being said - I do love how ED plays! I wish the developers of ED had a more singleplayer, offline experience to offer. But yes, ED isn't quite like I-War 2, the true classic!

Also: Christ loves you man. And I love you too! :)

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #20858 by Atheist Antichrist

Elite Dangerous is a very open world online game. It does have some I-War feel to it, but there's not a concise story at all to play through; at least, I never got around to playing through any sort of story missions as I already knew I didn't want to grind through Elite Dangerous' sort of online play to advance my character.

That being said - I do love how ED plays! I wish the developers of ED had a more singleplayer, offline experience to offer. But yes, ED isn't quite like I-War 2, the true classic

I don't doubt that ED is a good game.  I played with it very little but I can tell it has great potential.  I just haven't felt like taking the time it's going to require to learn it.  If it sounded like I was dogging it....I apologize, because I didn't intend it.

I've never completed I-War 2, I don't think.  I always ran into a bug that made me quit completing missions, if I remember.

"It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"
-Mark Twain

More
2 years 7 months ago #20859 by Sarxis
I had the same problem with bugs while trying to complete I-War2 myself. Took me over 15 years to finally get back around to fully completing the game. There might have a been some work arounds for the bugs I found online that helped me get through the game.

More
2 years 7 months ago #20861 by mechwarrior2
You gotta download the Dagda patch fix from the downloads section. The official patch from particle systems might fix it too. I've replayed this game like 4 times and I run into that same Dagda bug every single time if I don't download the Dagda patch.

Another solution is to download a save file that skips the mission, there is only 1 mission in Dagda anyways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarxis