Favorite/Worst SciFi series or movies

More
9 years 2 months ago #19294 by schmatzler
Given the fact, that Independence War are SciFi games, there must be some of you guys out there who enjoy the occasional space opera :) (I hope I'm right).

Which series or movies have you enjoyed in the past? Are you watching some at the moment?

I've watched almost any SciFi series one could imagine. Most of them are pretty cool, although I have some hate candidates. Seriously, never watch StarHunter! :lol:

The last SciFi related movie I watched was "Automata" with Antonio Banderas. It has its philosophical moments about life and moral judgement but most of the time it is very cheap, unfortunately.

The last series I really enjoyed was the new Battlestar Galactica. I watched Babylon 5 after all the Star Trek series and I think, B5 is way better and not overly hyped by the masses.

What do you think? Did I miss some good stuff? I don't want to miss anything SciFi related ;)

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19296 by cambragol
I actually liked Automata a lot. It did not over do itself, which is likely what most 'AI' stories are going to do in the years to come.

Battlestar Galactica was great, until the last episode, which I tried to immediately erase from my mind as it ruined the whole series. Never Watch It.

Europa Report was good. Moon.

As far as space-opera goes, I can't think of any. Star Wars has left no room for other visions. Except the new Star Trek. Which is great. And Guardians of the Galaxy. Which is a space-opera I suppose.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19298 by 7upMan
Pacific Rim. Yeah, really, sometimes I'm in the mood for some mindless sci-fi action flick with huge robots fighting monsters. ;-)

Other than that, I love unknown high-quality classics like B5 and Firefly (liked Serenity too), but also newer shows like Almost Human and Eureka (non-space shows). And yes, BSG should go without saying. I don't know anyone who *didn't* like that show.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19301 by Midgardsormr
B5, BSG, and Firefly of course. ST and SW also go without saying.

I thought Caprica was an interesting idea, and it was just starting to get to the cool sci-fi stuff when it was canned. No pun intended. They should have led with the good stuff instead of trying to build it up slowly.

If you enjoy time travel stories, check out Continuum. The fourth season should be starting soon. The three existing seasons are available on Netflix. In brief, 70 years from now, a group of terrorists manage to escape their own execution by traveling into the past (today). A cop equipped with high-tech gear accidentally follows them back and is trying to prevent them from changing the future to be more to their liking.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #19302 by schmatzler

Midgardsormr wrote: B5, BSG, and Firefly of course. ST and SW also go without saying.

I never got into Star Wars like half the planet does. I think it is overly hyped and a big money machine for Disney nowadays. I hope they don't make it worse like they did TRON.

I watched all the movies, of course. Nothing special, but not bad either. The same goes with Star Trek - the first series is like a time machine and a nice view into the 1960s and that makes it special, but everything that came after has been superseded by other series.

BTW, while we are talking about Star Trek - I really enjoy Star Trek: Continues . They do an outstanding job in continuing the original ST series in every way. Post-processing, set and actors are very close to the original.

Midgardsormr wrote: If you enjoy time travel stories, check out Continuum.

I didn't enjoy this show at all. I've stopped watching it after season 2. All the time travel stuff got me confused very fast and I was just "out". All that ever happened there was "Guys attacking here, guys attacking there, next episode" - a little boring for me. ;)

However, I recently watched the movie "Predestination" - an astonishing movie. It wasn't quite what I expected about time travel, but I can't tell anything more because that would give away the whole ending. It's definitely worth a watch, though:

Aaaaaand - no one mentioned Stargate yet! Stargate has everything! Moral, Justice, some badass main characters, powerful enemies, awesome CGI...just skip Universe (well, the 3 hours of intro were good) and you have one of the best SciFi series out there.

cambragol wrote: Europa Report was good. Moon.

Europa Report was outstanding for a low-budget film. The only thing that bothered me was the fact, that they couldn't decide whether to stand or to float in space. It was still very enjoyable ;)

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19304 by Midgardsormr
! How did I forget Stargate!? SG-1 was a big reason I got into my current line of work, which is visual effects for television.

I do think they should have wrapped it up a little earlier than they did. The Ori were poorly executed, in my opinion.