Favorite/Worst SciFi series or movies

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19392 by IronDuke
I've seen Babylon 5 season 1, Agents of SHIELD season 1, the three hour miniseries of Battlestar Galactica, and episodes 4 and 5 of Star Wars.
Unimpressive list, when compared to my games list. :P

Best: Agents of SHIELD, by far. Great story line, great conversations, acting, and action.

Babylon 5 comes right after it. It would be better if the aliens were a little less stereotypical. I'm a wee bit tired of humanoids that are clearly wearing lots of makeup.

Battlestar Galactica is not all that good, in my opinion. There's way too much profanity (any show that invents its own bad word can't be good.) Also, it could do with turning down the adultery a little.

Star Wars is definitely my least favorite show. The massive amount of total technobabble, the weak story line, and the poor (for this time), amateurish graphics kill it for me. Feel free to bomb my house now in retribution for disliking this show. :silly:

The others you guys have been mentioning I've never even heard of until now, and I might be too busy on my projects (space game included) to watch them. A bummer, because one or two of them looked interesting.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19402 by schmatzler

IronDuke wrote: Best: Agents of SHIELD, by far. Great story line, great conversations, acting, and action.

I have to disagree - and that is hard, because all of my friends dig this show, too. I don't know - it's the typical Marvel "Let's beat people up - and there are superheroes and tits, too." Guess I'm not so much into superheroes at all. The last Captain America movie was SO BAD, nothing happened all the time! I don't know how Marvel keeps on getting away with this.

Babylon 5 comes right after it. It would be better if the aliens were a little less stereotypical. I'm a wee bit tired of humanoids that are clearly wearing lots of makeup.

Well, B5 is a series deep from the 90s. If you take that into account, it is very modern. One of my favorite shows, I have to rewatch it soon, since I forgot most of the stuff that happened there. But I still have my Psi-Corps pin on my jacket every day and I like it when people ask me about it. Last week someone thought I'm a member of an occult club somewhere. :P

Battlestar Galactica is not all that good, in my opinion. There's way too much profanity (any show that invents its own bad word can't be good.) Also, it could do with turning down the adultery a little.

Did you only watch the pilot film of the series that never happened - Blood and Chrome? I have to agree, that this could've been better.

Otherwise, I love the show. I mean, there are frakkin' toasters! And women who can act (didn't have that in the original, there were just there for tits I guess). I even loved the ending, that most people are b*tching about :lol:

Star Wars is definitely my least favorite show. The massive amount of total technobabble, the weak story line, and the poor (for this time), amateurish graphics kill it for me. Feel free to bomb my house now in retribution for disliking this show. :silly:

Totally agreed! :)

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19405 by 7upMan
I have to disagree on Captain America. Granted, I only watched the first movie (where the little guy turned into superhero), but it was so shockingly bad that I still mourn for the 10 EUR that I wasted for this shit (a friend had dragged me into cinema). I DO know, however, how Marvel keeps getting away with crap like this. Just read some of the reviews on IMDB, and you'll notice that if it's a comic adaption, some ppl immediately switch off their brain and go into full basement-kiddie mode.

I admit, I really liked Pacific Rim, which is a guilty pleasure as well, but it was still infinitely better than Captain America.

B5: I still have the Revell model kit for the Starfury waiting for me to be built (standing next to the Revell Perry Rhodan SOL generation ship ^^), and I'm using my black B5 mug for drinking tea. It's just the best!

BSG: It has some, if the THE, best CGI of any SciFi shows out there. Also, I really like the gritty realism. IronDuke, I strongly recommend to find yourself a copy of the original mini-series ( www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Ed...star+galactica+pilot ). If you're still not into it, then all hope is lost for you. ;-)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19415 by IronDuke
It's not the fault of the shows actually, I'm just really, really, really, really picky. It doesn't help that the ideas floating in my head for my space game practically always conflict with what is present in these shows. :(
Also, I borrowed all of these from the library, so if they're trash it's all I paid for. :P

I never mentioned the Captain A movies, but since someone did...
I actually didn't like the first one much, but the second was much better.

---(Spoiler alert!)---

Hydra wiping out SHIELD delighted me, because I felt they deserved it, which was also why i liked watching Agents of SHIELD. Also, the helicarrier battle scene at the end was somewhat reminiscent of a spaceship battle, like maybe a couple heavy destroyers at each other with Gatling turrets. :evil:

--IronDuke

P.S. Admittedly, if I think about it, the Marvel movies are a little cheesy, with slathers of action and colorful explosions, and little story line, but I usually watch them at the end of a day, when thinking about anything harder than a leather couch will make me turn into a mushroom cloud.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
9 years 1 week ago #19430 by schmatzler

IronDuke wrote: I usually watch them at the end of a day, when thinking about anything harder than a leather couch will make me turn into a mushroom cloud.

Yeah, I guess that's what Marvel movies are intended to. I don't even want to have a plotline in a Marvel movie where I have to think too much at the end of the day.
But that doesn't justify no plotline at all, like in the last Captain America ;) But that's okay, he's a hero that represents a nation being proud of itself, they can do that. I'm just glad we don't have "Kapitän Germany" here and that's strange, since we Germans tend to copy a lot of things and make them worse. :D

More
8 years 11 months ago #19633 by schmatzler
I've just watched "Chappie" - if you don't know it, here's the trailer for you.

Warning: Spoiler!

WARNING - SPOILERS!

This film is total junk and deserves a place in this thread, amongst the worst movies I have ever seen.

- The music in the movie is loud and unpleasant. Most of the time it sounds like "Die Antwoord - Rich Bitch", which is just really bad gangster rap.

- The robot can't speak properly. He learns the language from his family and since these all talk like "Yo I'm gonna get ya, I'm da pimp" the robot does, too.

- This movie also doesn't give us any moral values. His "family" steals cars and property, they kill people and they even abandon the robot so he ends up being set on flames. Then he comes back and they live "happily ever after". Seriously?

Also, this movie is full of clichés. The operating system of the robots is DOS, the programmer is a skinny white guy who's working in a cubicle and doesn't get credit for his hard work...PURE, UTTER GARBAGE. I so regret watching this! :angry: