Community website overhaul.

More
18 years 9 months ago #18469 by SoupDragon
Hi All,

I am drawing up plans for a complete overhaul of the EOC Community website, which will include a new design and layout. I am aiming to deliver the new site around November, certainly before the new year.

Some obvious aspects of the present design will be changed, notably the navigation (it seems only Chinese and Arabs can use it :)).

I have unlocked this forum section until the end of July to enable input. Please feel free to put forward your views on such things as present site issues and what you'd like the new site to include.

Thanks very much

Soup'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13235 by GrandpaTrout
Just a few ideas at the moment. Your site is the closest thing to an official site that still exists. I think there should be a big bold link on the front page that takes people to all the items they need to play the game most. A page with the patches, a FAQ (ask Parias to edit his into real shape) and some of the PS mods that are critical.

I think there should be one large list of mods to download, for those who know exactly what they want. But I do like your grouping of mods. It would be nice if they could be grouped by compatability. So you could have ifleet and future trader and assault all together with some text telling people they can player these together.

There have been several mods, Gold Rush, iFleet, Unleashed, Epic, Multiplayer, that could use seperate pages with descriptive text. To most people just arriving, it would be helpful to have more information. And for them to realize just how many large mods have been produced. People often show up in the forum and ask "what do I download". It would be great if that question was self answering in the design of the new site. (just ideas, don't know who would do all that typing).

More
18 years 9 months ago #13289 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Community website overhaul.
I feel the save game files offered could be more extensive. At present we only offer a few, and mission scripts are still the area where most people request help on.

I'm currently playing through EoC again. And building a library of saves for every major mission in the game. My game is completely unmodded and patched.

Each save goes in a numbered folder with the mission name (example: 012 The Heist). And with each save a text document which includes the following information:

The Heist
Act I

After a goodly bit of pirating, Cal is now ready to check out some new technology Maas has produced... and steal it if he can.

Current Score: 5920
Current Ranking: Qualified
Kills: 58

Pods Stolen: 731
Pirated Value: 2,828,000

Objectives Screen Data:

Meet with Stepsons.

10:16 PM 7/9/2005
Shane

I'm doing a great deal of pirating so the inventory will be well stocked on these games (I usually bring in around 120 pods per outing).

When zipped each one is about 10 kb in size... pretty small. But given the number of missions in EoC it might add up to something which you'd rather not host. I'd expected to hold on to these and email them out on request, but if you'd like to host them I'd be glad to send them along when finished (about a month).

More
18 years 9 months ago #13291 by SoupDragon
Thanks for the feedback so far. Shane, when you've got nearly 800mb of data on your host, you don't quibble about the extra meg. More than happy to host your work.

I'm reorganising from top to bottom. The mod section was pretty much built on demand, so accept the need for a more clearer and concise setup in this area.

Soup'

More
18 years 9 months ago #13295 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Community website overhaul.
Thanks Soup. I'll send them to you when finished. :)

More
18 years 9 months ago #13297 by EricMan64
Hey, how did I miss this when the thread was first made? Anyway, the only comment I really have is that the submenu-on-the-right thing always managed to confuse a lot of people. It almost became habbit to tell people where the submenu was when we told them about your site.