My new job

More
18 years 2 months ago #14766 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic My new job
Thanks, Hot4.

I'm with you cambragol. It's the only way to fly.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14777 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic My new job
I think I understand. I had a chance to climb up on the engineers platform of a 200 year old steam engine built by James Watt. The thought he must have stood in that same spot 200 years ago gave an odd feeling. Yeah, history has a feeling. You did a good job describing it.

I am guessing these planes earn thier keep? What kind of routes do they fly? Small towns with short runways? Islands? Are they retrofitted with modern avionics? Can they handle flying in low visibility?

More
18 years 2 months ago #14778 by Second Chance
Thanks, GT.

These planes defiinitely do earn their keep. The whole business relies on them, they're the only two planes we fly. (Although we have just bought a used Cessna Caravan which hasn't been delivered yet.) We make the run from Long Beach to Catalina Island and back several times a day. Catalina Island is a popular small island off the coast with only one town and no cars. They rely almost exclusively on us for all of their freight needs. Our DC-3's carry several tons of cargo there every day, and bring back what they send out. We have contracts with UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service. If someone sends something to Catalina, chances are it goes through us.

The planes themselves have the same basic array of nav equipment that most General Aviation planes do. A pair of VOR receiver's, transponder w/ alt encoding, DME, ADF, etc. It's mostly pretty basic old-school IFR equipment (no GPS or Loran or anything), but the weather here is seldom a problem. However, being an FAR Part 135 operation, we're required to file IFR on all our flights. So if visibility goes south, there are multiple IFR approaches at both Long Beach and Avalon (Catalina's airport) that we can shoot. It's a rare occurance though. Even when there's thick morning fog, we can simply go VFR-on-top (that means breaking through the cloud tops) until arriving at Catalina, where it's usually clear. Good thing too, Avalon is above 1000 feet with a cliff at each end of the runway.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14781 by Oren
Replied by Oren on topic My new job
hey my dad used to fly those!

More
18 years 2 months ago #14783 by Second Chance
Cool, Oren. When, and where?

More
18 years 1 month ago #14831 by Oren
Replied by Oren on topic My new job
oh long time ago when he was in the army. he quit flying though and moved to recon services. he also told me he went trough an emergency crach in those kind of air plains here(they are called "Dakota" in the idf but not a long time a go they were put out of service), one engine gave in but not a too dramatic landing.
i'm going to the idf parachuters, i only build plains and helicopters models. so far i got f-14 tomcat plus (big model with us markings), "kobra" chopper (AH-1 viper) and i have a b-2 bomber on the way.
i had once us F-15, a "yasoor" helicopter (dont know the model but it is a big troop carring chopper), Apache(wich i painted in the idf colors and it looks great!) and a mig-29. all of those my mom threw to the garbage just because they catch dust! i can't belive it!