ELITE:Dangerous !!! Kickstarter Project

More
8 years 10 months ago #19749 by AdmiralZeratul

7upMan wrote: WHAT?!? Sorry, AdmiralZeratul, but you didn't get your facts right. John Romero, CO-creator of Doom, Quake and Daikatana, did play a role in the creation of Doom and Quake, but he was one of many. His true "skills" showed with Daikatana, which shipped several years too late and was not a whole lot of fun to play. It failed badly. "John Romero is going to make you his bitch - suck it up" became a matter of utter ridicule.

My apologies, 7upMan. I did not mean to offend. I got my information from Wikipedia, and I may have skimmed over it slightly. :blush:

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #19750 by RichardSkinner
oh man yea, I learned about guy in a game history class. that was back when game designers where rock stars. blew all his money on office chairs made of the finest camel ass hair lol.

Right up there with making more cartages of ET then there were Atari consoles.

I can't believe Romero is still in the business

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 10 months ago #19751 by 7upMan
Well, his last Kickstarter project failed so badly that he took it offline well before the finishing date. Also, being in business currently doesn't mean a whole lot for him. He exists, but that's about it. Good riddance, I say. Gaming history has a very special place for him next to George Broussard. ^^

More
8 years 10 months ago #19752 by AdmiralZeratul
Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have much in the gaming industry nowadays. I think the biggest problem in gaming history is big companies like EA Games.

What did George Broussard do, by the way? I thought I'd ask here, since I seem to have a knack for getting these things wrong on my own. :lol:

More
8 years 10 months ago #19753 by 7upMan
Yeah, the stronger the Indies get, the better. Nowadays Indie teams have the size of full-blown game developers of days past, and both are famous for creating compelling titles that stay with you for a very long time and will be fondly remembered. That is not to say that Big Gaming can't create great titles in their own right. It just means that with Big Gaming, you can expect to see more of the same, but highly polished. Indie games, OTOH, are like raw diamonds. There are kinks, but the overall product had much more personality.

WRT Broussard, he's mainly responsible for the debacle around Duke Nukem: DNF (Did Not Finish). How long was that thing in development hell? 11 or 13 years? Anyway, he's a lousy manager and a bad designer as well. DNF was not even remotely as good as it could have been. I wonder just how bad a Kickstarter with his name on it would fail! XD

More
8 years 10 months ago #19754 by AdmiralZeratul

7upMan wrote: Yeah, the stronger the Indies get, the better. Nowadays Indie teams have the size of full-blown game developers of days past, and both are famous for creating compelling titles that stay with you for a very long time and will be fondly remembered. That is not to say that Big Gaming can't create great titles in their own right. It just means that with Big Gaming, you can expect to see more of the same, but highly polished. Indie games, OTOH, are like raw diamonds. There are kinks, but the overall product had much more personality.

My main issue with indie development is the limited scope of so many indie titles. I like having a lot to do in a video game, and the philosophy some seem to have is "focus on one gimmick at the exclusion of everything else". I'm not implying that every game must be an open world style game to be any good, but I prefer to have some complexity in my gaming experience.

7upMan wrote: WRT Broussard, he's mainly responsible for the debacle around Duke Nukem: DNF (Did Not Finish). How long was that thing in development hell? 11 or 13 years? Anyway, he's a lousy manager and a bad designer as well. DNF was not even remotely as good as it could have been. I wonder just how bad a Kickstarter with his name on it would fail! XD

Just thinking about that mess pisses me off. I remember that the company that "finished" DNF went on to also ruin the Mechwarrior franchise with Mechwarrior Online, and they took down Mektek's completely free and much more fun version of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. Mechwarrior Online crushed my hopes of having a good, recent Mechwarrior game, and it's the reason why I am so much more cynical about game developers nowadays. I only trust a few companies.