Favorite/Worst SciFi series or movies

More
9 years 2 months ago #19323 by Midgardsormr
I think most of the problem was the production design. There's a reason that most of the best CG is found in movies with a lot of darkness and fast cuts. The technology wasn't quite ready for long, lingering closeup shots on CG characters in full sunlight. And the design of the characters themselves was so goofy.

What exactly do you mean? In the Wikipedia, I only find this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_of_the_Fates. Do you really mean the music theme?

Yep, I mean the music. The score always been the best part of Star Wars, but Williams knocked it out of the park with that piece.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19349 by drkanukie
BEST
Firefly/Serenity, Star Trek & STTNG, DS9 Dominion Wars Arc, STWOK, First Contact, Babylon 5, Star Wars, BSG II, Starship Trooper I, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, GotG, Galaxy Quest, Fringe, Avatar, Star Gate/SG1/Atlantis/Universe, Dr Who reboot, Outcasts, Agents of Shield.

NOT SO GOOD
Extant, Defiance

NEW
Thunderbirds are Go!

--
on the edge of chaos

More
9 years 2 months ago #19355 by schmatzler

drkanukie wrote: BEST
Firefly/Serenity, Star Trek & STTNG, DS9 Dominion Wars Arc, STWOK, First Contact, Babylon 5, Star Wars, BSG II, Starship Trooper I, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, GotG, Galaxy Quest, Fringe, Avatar, Star Gate/SG1/Atlantis/Universe, Dr Who reboot, Outcasts, Agents of Shield.

Oh well - you certainly have a good taste, man! :)

I love like 90% of this stuff, too. When we're talking about space, I also remembered two good space comedy series:

"Red Dwarf" - a series that was very popular in Britain in the 90s and got rebooted a few years ago. If you think that jumping out of a plane while riding an alligator and shooting Nazis is good humor, that's certainly a series for you.

and "Hyperdrive" - Nick Frost is in it, so...yeah. I like Nick Frost.

NOT SO GOOD
Extant, Defiance

"Not so good" is an understatement. They are horrible. Extant has some nice effects and animations, Defiance can't even compete with that. Blergh. :sick:

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19358 by 7upMan
Well, I like Defiance so much that I bought the DVD for Season 1. In contrast to that, I really tried to get into Hyperdrive, which has good CGI, but it's just not my kind of tea. I like my show to be a bit more serious to themselves. Same for red Dwarf. I still remember my initial reaction: "WTF?!?" ;-P

More
9 years 2 months ago #19361 by cambragol
Yeah! Red Dwarf!

I just discovered that there is a season 10, and maybe 11. Had no idea.

How about: Doctor Who! Both the old and new incarnations. Must be some hands up for those if we are talking SciFi.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19385 by schmatzler

cambragol wrote: I just discovered that there is a season 10, and maybe 11.

Season 11 of Red Dwarf has already been confirmed and is to be aired at the end of the year:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a563796/red...html#~p7Umdk5nISRI2o

I just love Red Dwarf! Riding alligators and shooting Nazis, that's funny even for me as a German. Although it's a bit sad to see how old the actors all got :(

cambragol wrote: How about: Doctor Who! Both the old and new incarnations. Must be some hands up for those if we are talking SciFi.

Doctor Who used to be my favorite SciFi show, but the last season was really...lame. I just hope it gets more intense with the next one.

Also, the first seasons (the black and white ones) really haven't aged well. I don't speak about the video quality, but the storytelling takes so much time, it doesn't fit into 2015 anymore.

Space. The final frontier.