Favorite/Worst SciFi series or movies

More
8 years 11 months ago #19668 by 7upMan
Well, the music sounds like Die Antwoord because the main characters ARE Die Antwoord. Also, my first video of them was "I Fink U Freeky" (
). The robot looks a bit like Briareos Hekatonchires from "Appleseed" ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briareos_Hecatonchires ):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleseed_(manga) :
District 9 director Neill Blomkamp has cited Appleseed's Briareos as an influence on the design of the robot in his 2015 film, Chappie.

The thing is that Neill Blomkamp, the director of the movie, made great movies like Elysium (IMDB: 6.7) or District 9 (IMDB: 8.0). IMDB gives it a rating of 7.2, which means something like "great for fans of the genre". When the movie is out on BD, I might give it a chance and post here what I think of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #19675 by schmatzler
Briareos is way cooler than this stupid gangster robot. How dare you! :P You can't compare Chappie to this epic beast:

And yes, I was aware that "Die Antwoord" is actually playing in the movie. Maybe it would've been better without them.

To be completely fair: "Chappie" is still better than the last Appleseed movie. :unsure:

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19680 by 7upMan
To be honest, I haven't watched the newest Appleseed movie yet - I think (you mean Appleseed Alpha?). Be that as it may, I think the ones that I DID watch (the cell animation OVA and the first two computer animated ones, Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina) weren't really good. In fact, they weren't even remotely on par with the mangas. But that's entirely my own opinion.

While I think that the Ghost in the Shell movies were really good (especially the first one) and I did enjoy both seasons of Stand Alone Complex, I think Shirow had much less luck with Appleseed. I find it pretty sad that the TV show never got finished (Appleseed Genesis), but I wonder if the newest show Appleseed XIII fills that gap. Did you have had the chance to watch it?

Did you know that Tsutomu Nihei's manga series "Knights of Sidonia" was turned into a CGI series? More conventional than Blame!, and with mostly one-dimensional characters, but fun to watch anyway. And I just love Nihei's works!

More
8 years 10 months ago #19682 by schmatzler
I only know the three movies. I don't watch many animes, mostly western ones.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, though - the first movie I believe. It was awesome and I want to watch the series. Basically, I want more - but there's no time in between I-War and other things.^^

The first Appleseed movie was great. Intense action, a little love, a decent plot...and 2D characters in a 3D world looked really unique.
The second one wasn't super-great (yeah, white doves! Let's do more doves!), but it was watchable.

The third one killed the franchise for me. The animations looked really cheap and broke the immersion of the series completely. And the plot was like a 5 year old wrote it. Also...sooo many pauses in the movie! I almost fell asleep.

I've decided to skip Appleseed XIII because of that.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19735 by 7upMan
What exactly did you mean by "third" movie? Can you give me the exact name? I recently watched Appleseed Alpha from 2014, and I was pleasantly surprised of the quality of the 3D animations. Also, the story was not as bad as I was afraid of.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19739 by schmatzler
I meant Appleseed Alpha. And I hated that movie.

I just sat there waiting for stuff to happen and all I got was cheesy dialogue, a thin plot and whacky animations. Maybe my standards are too high but I think this movie is pure and utter garbage.

Agreeing with most of the imdb reviews here. The somehow "off" animations aren't even the real problem, there is no real character development and I can't really remember the story after a few months of watching it, which doesn't speak for it, I guess :D