Mod Dev Version DL

More
19 years 10 months ago #10047 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Mod Dev Version DL
Thanks! [:I]:D

About the .zip: I guess it depends on how you use the zip extractor.
Normaly I set it to unzip the <folder>.zip to <folder> in the same directory where the .zip is.
(Thats why I suggested downloading it directly to your EOC directory).
For the final version of the beta, I'm planning on doing a self extractor that installs and activates the mod "automagically".
I don't have experience with that though, so if any one has, please speak up!

With the size of this mod, extracting it somewheres and then using cut and paste to move the folder may overtax some peoples hard drive capacity. (The final version will have around 200 MB (unzipped))

Actually I didn't do all 700 files in the last couple of months. The mod is built around EpicOnline and there are lots of files we're not even using atm. Weeding them out will be a mess though because it's hard to be sure some bolt isn't used on an obscure and distant Station or Gunstar somewheres. Buy the time we're finished 90% will be in use anyway

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10048 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Mod Dev Version DL
I can do a self-extracting .exe zip if you want. It won't activate the mod, but I can have it place an EoC style desktop icon that does (the activation should be left to the user anyway).

btw - What zip extractor do you use? I use winzip, and I don't think it can do what you mentioned above. But, that would be pretty cool if it can. I never tried it.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10049 by MajorTom
That would be cool to make a zip extractor like that. I think you're right, the activation should be left up to the user.

I use (the freebee version of) winzip too. Put the .zip file in the directory where you want to unzip it, right click on on it, point at "Winzip".
The 3rd option from the top in the popup is (on my PC):
"extract to Drive:/.../.../... <zip file name>"

More
19 years 10 months ago #10062 by Second Chance
Cool, I never knew that. Thanks. I rarely work with zip files outside of the winzip program.

Anyway, when we're done (or whenever you want) just give me all the files and I'll make a self-extracting exe out of them.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10068 by MajorTom
The new version is now avaliable here:

www.i-war2.com/swDevelopment/StarWarsA1.zip

a)If you already have version A1 installed just extract the new .zip to your existing StarWarsA1 folder and select overwrite all!
Then run the batch file and select option c to update it.
Thats all! (you don't have to deinstall it before you update it)

b)If you haven't previously installed StarWars, extract the .zip to a folder named StarWarsA1 in your EOC directory. Then run the batch.(that will automatically activate the mod).

After you've installed (or updated ) start the game and select your resolution and control options.

Please: Don't use the Win98Me batch if you have Win2k or XP!

This version has lots of new goodies so check the change log thread on how to use them all. Have fun :D

More
19 years 10 months ago #10079 by Second Chance
Ok, major problem MajorTom! With the mod deactivated, I unzipped the new version over the old, then ran the batch and hit c to update. When I started EoC, it started normal (no mod). I ran the batch and it said the mod was active, so I hit e to deactivate it. Then EoC wouldn't start at all. Turns out, the batch deleted my flux.ini. So now I have none! Fortunately, I have a backup of my tediously tweaked flux.ini file, so I'm not crying. But why does the mod never work after the first activation? Now it just permanently says the mod is active.

Here's an idea. How about a batch.log file for the activator? Then you can see exactly what it's doing, and why.

*edit*
It also moved all my mods into a folder called mp_mods in the main EoC folder and deleted my mods folder. And now when I start the regular game and go to the extras screen it lists all the folders in my my main EoC directory as mods, i.e. bin, configs, resource, etc.

Could you tell me exactly what the batch file changed so I can deinstall manually.