An observation on Star Wars speeds

More
19 years 5 months ago #11895 by MajorTom
Those are great ideas but unfortunately not applicable

Niether thrust override nor LDS work in MP. The distance problem to battle remains.

There are many differences and incompatibilities between EOC SP and EOC MP. I am very suprised, that you didn't remember or realize that. I even wonder if you disregarded that intentionally just to annoy me?
If not, you obviously haven't or can't test your ideas in MP. After all, our Star Wars mod is in the MP environment. Any observations and suggestions that are based on the SP mode and are not tested specifically in our mod are in the least very time consuming (to verify/confirm) if not totaly a waste of time for both of us.

I am aware that due to some anomolies of your Win2k DOS as compared to Win98 and WinXP you can't test correctly That could however be fixed if you stick with it, I'll stick with you until we get it fixed. Then you will be able to switch back and forth between our SW mod and your SP effortlessly. I can't help you with it though, if you don't provide me with input.

I still don't like your idea of changing the focal length for our mod. If we do actually change the map sizes (and all the models needed for the maps), we can take a look at at your idea again.
That would however require rescaling of all missiles, and many subsystems, turrents, cockpits ect., and may even make it neccessary to rescale tha map objects several times too until we get it right.

Have you ever tried scaling a cockpit down so it is smaller? That should provide a cockpit view that is more fitting, relative to the changed focal length?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11898 by Second Chance
Lol. No MajorTom, I'm not trying to annoy you. I really had no idea that there were so many basic differences between SP and MP. I'm really not interested in MP that much and never play in that mode. So I'm truly sorry that my suggestions are not applicable or seem ignorant. I'm only trying to help by bringing what I've learned from my mod work to this one. I'm really only interested in the SP game for my own mod work, so all the testing I do certainly isn't a waste of time for me. If I had realized that there were so many drastic differences between SP and MP I wouldn't keep bringing these kinds of observations and suggestions to the table. Like I said originally, this whole thread was never intended to change the mod. And the only reason I put it here, instead of in the general forum, was because it was directly related to Star Wars. But I won't waste anymore time in here with info gained from the SP game.

I would like to get the mod working on my computer, even if only for the other Win2k users out there. But I probably won't play it that much even when it is working, other than to provide feedback during testing. So it's not overwhelmingly important to deal with right now. I get a serious dose of Star Wars ship combat coolness just using Instant Action and my own performance figures (that work well for me). And I'm working on my own personal SP mods and scenarios that make use of the new ships in a more Star Wars-like environment. So I guess I'll just leave the balancing and performance design aspects of this mod to you and Tarcoon, who have a much better handle on all things MP than I do. (Or even a handle at all, which I don't.)

No need to even think about changing FOV. I like it, I do it, nothing needs to be scaled or changed (except maybe the cockpit, if that's a big deal to everybody), but there isn't any reason anyone else should be made to use it. I won't mention it again regarding this mod.

. . . Buuuuut, scaling the cockpit for my use of a different FOV is a great idea! And so simple too. I can't belive I haven't just done it already. Thanks for the good idea, I'll do it today. [8D]

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 2 months ago #12341 by Second Chance
Ok MajorTom, I've scaled those models for you and sent them off. Sorry it took so long, I forgot. I also adjusted all the lens flares and stuff. So you won't be blinded when you go near them. Let me know if you have any trouble with them.

One question though, why did we shrink a station? Shouldn't the stations stay that same scale as the ships?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 2 months ago #12371 by MajorTom
Thanks, I got the mail and have the files saved.

I'll get to work on htem as soon as I can.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site