file Potential CD cover, maybe? LOL! (Mod poster)

More
19 years 1 month ago #12343 by Second Chance
Ok, got the layer mode sorted out. Now Vader does what I want him to and looks like he's behind the fighters. This image is more like what I was originally trying to achieve.

Does anyone like this, at all? You don't have to. You can say it stinks if that's what you think. I appreciate honest criticism. Right now I'm only having fun with that great screenshot anyway.

btw - My 1000th post! Yay me!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12373 by MajorTom
You guys are doing a good job on this subject without me so I'll keep out and let you make hte decisions on the Art.

I do think it is better if we use only original stuff that we made ourselves and shouldn't "borrow" anything if we can avoid it.

Bad luck for me - I'm on the far end now :)

Tarcoon, Sorry it turned out this way, especially after all the moral support you gave me. [:(]
We'll keep you in the loop as best we can.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 1 month ago #12379 by Second Chance

. . . so I'll keep out. . .

Please don't. It was hard to get any opinions at all, at first. And that's what these forums are for, discussion and expressing your thoughts on things. Opinions are important, reguardless of perceived qualifications. Even if you just say, "Oh, I like that", or, "Eww, I don't really like that". I feel that it's important to get everyone's opinion on every matter we discuss here.

I do think it is better if we use only original stuff that we made ourselves and shouldn't "borrow" anything if we can avoid it.

Does this only include ships (as that's all we've got for this mod)? Or did you also mean things like the Darth Vader image in the background?

Right now I'm kind of split. Shane makes a good point about using quality to put the mod in the best light, as per his box art example. But at the some time, the models are good (if I do say so) and I would never buy a game that had no screenshots on the box somewhere.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 1 day ago #12592 by MajorTom
SC, your artwork is now in use, I just updated my web site, added a bit of info about our mod and put in a disclaimer that will hopefully keep the Lucas guys off our backs.

home.cablerocket.com/~majortom/h ... _news.html

If anyone has a/some banners with a Star Wars: Wings of Defiance logo, I'll put it/them up for others to use too.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 7 months ago #13408 by Taurus
SecondChance, I hope you won't be offended by what I did [:I]. I was thinking that using this shot you could get something a bit different, so I took the jpeg file on this forum and played a bit with it.
In fact the reason why I did it is that I find something's wrong in thos picture. I have a bad tendancy to criticize everything, but you'll get used to it hopefully, and I try to keep it constuctive, and it is intended neither to hurt nor to flame it. I like the picture as it is. But I think it does not feel that much Starwarsish. Of course you see the xwings and Darth Vader and the death star... but I find it too yellow. Do you have in mind the original trilogy posters ? they are iirc much more blueish, even somewhat purple... And so is the Starwars universe, quite cold-colored (desaturated, and more blueish). So here are a few experiments, but since they are made in 5 minutes from the jpg file, they lack polish probably.

Which is obviously not contrasted enough, but you see my point. I'd add contrast to the image and lower the eight halos.

There are other minor 'problems'.
The death star shouldn't be in the picture as long as the mod doesn't include it for sure (although I know it is planned, but still...).
But moreover, it looks too flat, doesn't seem like a sphere.
I think this is due to the trench being almost lined up with the picture edge. a different perspective from it would be better in this picture.
Or maybe a different lighting ? like this one maybe :
www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/DS/DS1_01.jpg
But then it should be mirrored to match the xwings lighting....

The Vader face should be either more distinct, or less. I think it should be more contrasted, so that you recognize him from the bright parts, while the dark parts would be almost translucent and you could see the space behind. See this picture about contrast : www.501italica.com/images/501st%20Wallpa...ktop%2002%201024.jpg

Laser shots : I think that they look too big. It is due to the perspective, but they are too prominent in the picture according to me. These things are supposed to be lasers, not flamethrowers :D ! Thin and precise... And the halos at the cannons openings are also too prominent according to me, they look somehow "pasted in". I'm also wondering if the lasershots are really welcome in the picture. (but maybe if they were less predominant...[}:)])

To tell the truth, I like the first image you submitted better (the one without Vader and the Death Star), although it is still too yellow and with the big laser beams...

As for the logo, I can't remember if this standard is always yellow or not. In case yes, allright (that's why I kept it in my picture btw). Otherwise, a silver one might be more appropriate maybe ? like the color of the logo in this picture : www.darthrage.com/starwars/pictures/2/st...ge_of_the_sith_2.jpg

Sorry for all this mess, my studies have destroyed my ability to enjoy graphic stuff as they are. Great work. No kidding.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13409 by Second Chance
Uh oh, I'm in trouble now. :D

Your points are all valid ones, and I myself threw the picture together in just a few minutes, after a talk with a friend. After which I gave up on it.

I think you're right about it being too yellow, and it does look a little better with less saturation. The SW logo however, was only yellow at the time of the movies. I'm sure the silver logo didn't show up until later, with the revamping of the marketing campaign.

This pic is an actual screenshot from the mod, and the laser blasts are what was being used at the time. They are definitely incorrect, but that's what it's got so I can't change it. I decided to use it because I thought it was such a dramatic shot, and the only one we have with multiple ships in frame.

We talked about the inclusion in the pic of things that aren't directly from the mod, but that was about using Vader. The Death Star was, in fact, supposed to be included (you should check out our thread on the atari forums.) These were also the best images of Vader and the DS I could find with limited searching.

Feel free to adjust it, or better yet, create new images. I can send you the original photoshop files if you want.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos