file "Official" thread for the mod

More
18 years 4 months ago #18656 by Second Chance
Major Tom, are you around again yet? I saw you post the other day. Just wanted to point you to the thread I made in the Mods and Pog forum. I noticed that we have a nice unified location for info over in the atari forum, but not here. So I just made a single convenient place to post updates for the mod. I'm halfway finished with texturing the x-wing cockpit, so I'll post an update there soon.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14390 by MajorTom
Sorry, I was around briefly before but unfortunately overlooked this post.

Second Chance, I like your idea to post a thread for updates ect.
The X-Wing cockpit and the Tie Cockpit both look great. If you send the files to me at my new E-Mail: mjrtom<at>charter.net i'll put them in the game and test them out.

My site is also up and online with my new provider (although there still may be a few broken links). None the less, I'm slowly getting acclimated to SC and will be working on the mod some more too very soon.

Dadgummit! It's cold over here! [:(] I'm going to miss the weather in CA [8D]

Actually the only thing holding me up is the changes we wanted to make on the

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 3 months ago #14403 by Second Chance
Hey, bud. Glad you made the move safely. I was getting worried after not hearing from you for so long. I figured you wouldn't have any email for a while, and I assumed you shut your cell number off.

Glad you liked the idea for an update thread. It seemed a little more coherent than just posting random stuff all over the place. And I'm glad you like the X-Wing cockpit. Even better; I have Lightwave 5 now, so I can do all the surface effects we wanted. You should see the cockpits now. I've now got brightly lit colored buttons and switches and high-gloss polished-plastic-looking plates over various areas of the dull metal panels. Next time I fire the game up I'll take some screen pics. The effects worked out so well, I'm now in the process of making luminosity and shininess maps for all the appropriate external ship textures. If the cockpits are any indication, the new ship texture surface effects should look awsome!

btw - I figured out most all of the head/internal camera movement settings. So we can now make adjustments that prevent the cockpit floors from coming up so high that it blocks the players view. Fortunately, all the axes and motions have separate values. So you can adjust the ones you want without messing up the others.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14410 by MajorTom

Originally posted by MajorTom

Actually the only thing holding me up is the changes we wanted to make on the

.... animation of the X-Wing. Are you still working on that?

Originally posted by Second Chance

I'm now in the process of making luminosity and shininess maps for all the appropriate external ship textures. If the cockpits are any indication, the new ship texture surface effects should look awsome!

Not to dampen your motivation in the quest for perfection, but I'm concerned about the preformance hit. Remember we have multiple "player ships" in the MP game. i.e. one for each player and each bot in the game). Contrary to the cockpits, where there is only one cockpit rendered per client.
We should save the ship re-surfacing for after the beta release. Then we should test them asap before you put too much work into redoing those surface effects.

btw - I figured out most all of the head/internal camera movement settings. So we can now make adjustments that prevent the cockpit floors from coming up so high that it blocks the players view. Fortunately, all the axes and motions have separate values. So you can adjust the ones you want without messing up the others.

Does that mean you found individual settings for each ships cockpit in its .lws file instead of the global setting in flux.ini that will influence all the ships in the same way?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 3 months ago #14415 by Second Chance

.... animation of the X-Wing. Are you still working on that?

Uh, oops. I guess not. What was I supposed to do, again?

. . .I'm concerned about the preformance hit.

I don't see why it should be a problem. I believe most (if not all) of the stock ships use these.

Does that mean you found individual settings for each ships cockpit in its .lws file instead of the global setting in flux.ini that will influence all the ships in the same way?

Negative. These are flux value settings. Have you already looked into this? I didn't think you had. However, since the stock EoC cockpit shape is based on a vertical arrangement, and the SW cockpits are based on a horizontal arrangement, the minor tweaks I tested should work equally well for all the ships in the mod.

In case that didn't make any sense. What I mean is; the stock EoC cockpit is taller than it is wide, and has no floor or ceiling. Therefore, the flux settings allow a much greater vertical travel for both rotation and sliding motion than they do for horizontal travel. Since the SW cockpits are, generally, wider than they are tall; having at least a floor to block the player's view during extreme pitch manuvers and sometimes even allowing the player's view to actually slide up out of the cockpit. I gave the view a much more restricted vertical rotation and slide movement and greatly increased the horizontal rotation component. This allows the players to not only keep their view clear of obstructions, but at the same time, allows them to see the lovely surrounding cockpit environments I've lovingly built for them.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the result.

I'll get all the new stuff to you for check-out as quickly as I can.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14424 by Hot4Darmat
Hey MT,

Glad to see you're about and reporting in again. I feared you'd dropped off the edge of the earth or something. Some time ago I sent out a bunch of bound copies of The Meeting to the regulars and old timers of the fan community just for fun. I couldn't get in touch to get your proper and most current snail mailing address. Please send me a quick email to say "Hi" and give me the details of your mailing address so I can put a copy in the mail for you.