Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20672 by schmatzler
I-War 2 even works on an S3 Savage with 8MB of VRAM. Granted, only at 640x480, but it is playable at that resolution! :)

I am impressed that they made it so backwards compatible. But if I recall correctly, Stephen Robertson has said on GOG that the developers didn't have very great machines either and were mostly working at a maximum of 800x600.

What are your specs? As long as you're not powering an ATI Rage and a Pentium 1, you should be good to go! :P

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20673 by Chessking
It is an ATI Rage with 8mb vram, and I think it has a Pentium 2. I think it only has 333mb of RAM. It is running Windows 2000.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #20674 by schmatzler
Not ideal, but if you swap out the ATI Rage with a 3Dfx Voodoo, you can run Defiance with hardware acceleration and even with blurry stars! <3

And a TNT2 M64 could help you getting I-War 2 to run.

Space. The final frontier.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20675 by Chessking
The computer originally had a TnT2 card, but like I said, it didn't work. I don't know if it is the card or the AGP slot that is broken, so I have been reluctant to buy a new one. I will try both games on the computer in a bit.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20676 by Chessking
I just installed I-War 2 on my machine, and it works pretty well. I had to lower the resolution 640x480x16 to get a decent framerate. I bet I-war 1 will work too. I will have to transfer the GOG file over on my USB to test it.
For clarification, my graphics card is the ATI Rage XL pci 8mb.

Funny, Ironduke was just talking about graphics cards on the Discord channel as well.

P.S. Only on I-War 2.com does a converstion get off-topic so fast. We were talking about 3-D printers on this channel not long ago. :P

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20677 by Chessking
I have now installed I-war 1 on my retro machine. The game crashes between the intro video and the game, but when I use a different executable it works just fine.

Storm Petrel