Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
5 years 6 months ago #20704 by 7upMan
Yeah, the Space Mouse is definitely an interesting device. I checked the product video and will do some research. While not cheap, the price for the wired version is still on the sane side, and it might be just the one device that I was always looking for since the days of good-old Descent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #20705 by Assumpti0n
Thanks, Chessking. I was not aware of an upcoming remake/mod. That's awesome! Thanks for the intel. :)

I came over a thread on Elite Dangerous on how to configure a space mouse for flight control, so I thought I'd give it a try. Took some fiddling to figure out how to set all the necessary commands, but it worked out pretty well. I'd love to have a throttle to adjust my speed, but the +/- buttons on the device worked just as well.

More
5 years 6 months ago #20706 by Assumpti0n

7upMan wrote: While not cheap

It's definitely not standard gaming gear. I picked up one from work where it had become a dusty paper weight. Having used them for design engineering I'd definitely reccommend that you consider one of the large, heavy ones and not a lightweight travel version. When you're in the heat of battle you don't want one that slides across the desk. It takes a little getting used to though. :)

More
5 years 6 months ago #20707 by IronDuke
Welcome, Assumpti0n! :3
I am indeed working on a remake of the game, but as I am going to college full-time, progress is purty darned slow, and weeks often go by with nothing happening. Still, it's getting there, bit by bit ;) One day!

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
5 years 6 months ago #20708 by Assumpti0n

IronDuke wrote: college full-time

Thanks! :D I'm impressed that you manage to juggle both. When this came out I attended college, and juggling the two was at times quite difficult. ;) Kudos to you, IronDuke!

There's one thing I always kinda wanted for space sim games, and I fantasized about this before tablets became a thing: A connected screen/tablet where you could manage all menus, maps, power adjustments, weapons selections, comms etc using a touch screen interface. Like what you see now in-game for Elite Dangerous, but with a tablet you could connect and communicate in-game with. All options related to your current target? Hail, target sub systems, dock, approach, form up with etc, all on one tablet. Not that you need more to do. ;) I'm just day dreaming over the possibilities that I know nothing about how to realize.

More
5 years 6 months ago #20709 by IronDuke
Yes, it's very hard. XD Probably, I will not be able to get anywhere near completion until after I graduate in 4-5 years, especially since I'm trying to get a job as well right now.

Actually, many Elite Dangerous players have figured out how to do that. I don't know the details of how it works, but I've seen lots of pictures of setups where there's a tablet running some of the Elite controls. I'll bet that the Elite subreddit has people there who know how it's done, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's through VoiceAttack.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)