Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19474 by Chessking
Storm Petrel was created by Chessking
This topic is dedicated to the Storm Petrel. It is carrying over the discussion that started in the "What do you DISLIKE aboout I-War2?" topic.

I wonder how the Storm Petrel compares to the Executor class Interceptor, Wasp class Navy fighter, and the Hornet class Police fighter.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19477 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Storm Petrel
In the other topic, Shmatzler said:

One of the old devs in the GOG forum said, that the Storm Petrel was way too powerful and that may have been one of the reasons why they ditched it.

That is a very interesting point. They give a powerful ship before you know how to use it, and then take it away so that as you get better, the game can still be challenging, adding to the steep learning curve. It is strange, though, that they leave you in the Tug for half of the game. If I were Cal, I would sell the Tug and buy a Storm Petrel. After all of this, I must once again congratulate Cambrogal and Torn Stars. That mod gives you this freedom.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19479 by RichardSkinner
Replied by RichardSkinner on topic Storm Petrel
I used that Qstorm mod with the third light hard point on the top. sooo strong. I think they could have balanced it thought if they made it to where you couldn't mount a jump drive to the storm petrel, meaning you would need to call jaffs if you wanted to venture outside hoffers wake. which would be a huge pain in the butt and so you wouldn't use it all the time.

I always replace that tug with something whenever I do a play through.

my favorite is that Spartan old corvette, but I also like the police interceptor, the old iwar1 patcom, and executer which is super fragile

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago #19480 by Chessking
The Qstorm was a practice project for the person who made it. In the same way, I made the "Rusty" mod, but I didn't add a hardpoint. This is for two reasons. First, I don't know how. Second, I didn't want the mod to affect gameplay in any way. However, earlier in this topic I discussed removing a hardpoint, lowering the hull points, and putting it up for sale (for a cheap price) in Torn Stars.

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19481 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Storm Petrel
In the mod I was making, I re-balanced the Storm Petrel to be somewhat weaker. It was still one of the fastest ships in game, but the quad light PBCs became much lighter. The ship was unparalleled at destroying other small ships, even to tug size, but anything larger would barely scratch it. A five second firing of twin quad lights against a heavy corvette only brought its health down by 5%. It could shred fighters, though. Also, the hull became weaker, so a single missile hit would kill it. Much of combat was spent dodging missiles until the enemy stops firing them, then engaging.
It was very, very fun in instant action, tearing up fighters, patcoms, and tugs, but corvettes and the police patcoms took some doing, usually with wingman aid. And any capital ship that came through would HAVE to be destroyed by the wingmen.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #19482 by Chessking
Your Storm Petrel sounds much more tactical, just the way a company would have designed it. For a single player mission or game, it would be necessary to use a different, more capable ship. In a fleet, however, the Storm Petrel would be an essential strategic tool. For example, if their was an Independence War Fleet Commander game, the Storm Petrel would be use to fight small ships, Corvettes would take middle sized ships, and Capital ships would attack other Capital ships and stations. Tugs would be used primarily for transport of gunstars, but probably more often as an inferior but useful fighting force.

Storm Petrel