file IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
7 years 7 months ago #20315 by IronDuke
:blush:
derp
I was trying to open it outside of Unity. I rarely touch the Material assets in the folder, so I literally forgot what their extension was.

I'll take a look at it in a minute and let you know what I think within the hour.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20316 by Chessking
I have been rereading a thread on the Unity forum regarding texture resolution, and should probably increase the resolution to 2048x2048. As it is, (1024x1024), the textures are smaller than my screen, and would have to be scaled to fill it. Which causes it to look blurry. Also, the FOV doesn't allow the whole thing to be viewed, so some extra resolution would be needed to prevent scaling.

Edit1: When I make my own engine, I would like to use a procedural skyorb instead of a skybox. This would help with the corners.

Edit2: By the way, the textures should be seamless, since they are slices out of a 3-d procedural material. It's hard to see with stars. Once I write my nebulae generator, the seamlessness should be more apparent, and the scenery will be more colorful.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 7 months ago #20317 by IronDuke
Funny how every time I say I'll do something within x amount of time, I inevitably have an internet issue. :huh:
I rather like that starfield's look, and I know what you mean by the corners. That's an issue I've been fighting against as well. I just want to comment that there does not seem to be a distinct galactic center. Try running Space Engine (or just google screenies of it) and you'll see what I mean.

I'm just wondering though: I don't want to have a skybox with pre-rendered stars if I can help it, although that's fine for nebulae. I want to do what Particle Systems did and generate the stars at runtime as objects, since that way they don't get huge and blurry when you use a sniper scope or a really high res monitor from 2029. Do you know how to do that?

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20318 by Chessking
Regarding the galactic center: Thanks for pointing that out. That would definitely add to the scene. I will plan on adding that when I have both figured out how and have completed more important parts of the generator.

Regarding generated stars: Here's how I would do it in my own engine. I would send out a raycast for every pixel on the screen If it doesn't collide with any objects after a certain distance, input the coordinates into a 3-dimensional algorithm generating the background and stars. This way, the higher the zoom (and therefore the lower the FOV) the more detail will be generated, without any extra. Perhaps I can pull up some useful information regarding procedural generation within Unity.

Here is a free sample project regarding procedural generation: Procedural Examples .

Hey look, an asteroid generator!

Here is some other stuff I found: stuff and more stuff .

Edit: and this: getting closer...

Now to re-download Blender!

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 7 months ago #20319 by IronDuke
Oooh, I like that method for generated stars. :) And that way, as you said, you'd see more stars when zooming in, therefore sniper scope is also telescope.

I saw that Procedural Examples thing, got it, and tinkered with it, but I had difficulty understanding the code. That was a year or two ago though, so I guess it might be time to give it another shot.
I'm kinda impressed with how quickly you found those; I don't work particularly fast. (Which must be why I make few mistakes. :mrgreen: )

For a sky-sphere, making one in Blender is easy.
-Create sphere using sphere creation tool.
-Select all polys and click "Flip Normals."
-Make the UV map.
-Save.
-Have a root beer float.

--IronDuke

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20320 by Chessking
Thanks for spelling out how to make a sky-sphere. It has been a long time since I used Blender, and its design is not exactly self-explanatory. Now that I have figured out how to go into edit-mode, things should be a bit easier.

What I need to know now is how to make the UV map.

My rapid discovery of these things is due to a couple hours spend googling. B) As a result I have twenty tabs open right now... Most of them are sky-sphere related.

Edit: hey, look what I found: Epic Findings

Edit2: I have this new method working in Unity now. However, if the script is being run each frame, it would be more efficient to use a permanently modified mesh/UV. On the other hand, this is what I need to try to adapt the procedural code to the sphere.

Storm Petrel