file IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
7 years 7 months ago #20329 by IronyMan
Ach, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.

And thanks; I found the image in the EOC installer. :side:

I think I'll see what I can do with redesigning some of the ships. Something I've wanted to do for a long time. If I like anything I come up with I'll post it. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #20330 by FluffyMule
Hi guys,

It's awesome to see someone attempting to do a remake, still aren't any games like I-War 2 that simulate the vastness of space the way it does.

Just wanted to offer two links to help with your efforts in Skybox creation.

The first one is a free unity asset that uses shaders to simulate stars, clusters and galaxies and adds some interesting effects as you move through space. Note, you don't need to have the effects tho and can just generate a static box. The asset is called "Star Nest Skybox" by Ninjapretzel.
www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63726

Second one is a program I have been watching for a while called "Spacescape" which generates space skyboxes and is a free program hosted on SourceForge. It can create some spectacular views with great detail and examples come with the program. This is the one I would probably use, although you may be able to merge the two.
sourceforge.net/projects/spacescape/?source=typ_redirect

Also, was reading what you mentioned about zooming and getting blur from the skybox when zoomed in. AFAIK, when you zoom, you are in effect temporarily moving the camera forward a specified distance which simulates "zooming". Since the skybox's center needs to be locked to the cameras position to maintain a seamless view, the sky should remain the same since the box moves with the camera. If at any point the camera isn't at the center, the sky will look distorted and stretched in places. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope the links help. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronyMan

More
7 years 7 months ago #20331 by IronDuke
Wow, the number of people chiming in to this thread is awesome! :cheer:
I'll be taking a good look at those two assets next week. They seem splendid.

I hate to correct you on the method of zooming, but every video game ever zooms by decreasing the field of view. If you were to simply move the camera forward, the result would simply seem as though you'd teleported to a spot in front of yourself. Also, say you turned on the sniper view. If the camera were to move forward, then objects right in front of you would be behind the camera and not visible. That'd be strange.
Also, a bit of neat trivia. Skyboxes ordinarily don't have a position; they are simply rendered first, with everything else rendered on top of them. Custom skyboxes sometimes need a position though, and for that, you simply parent them to the camera and add a script to make sure they don't turn with it.

Thanks for those links. I'm enjoying just looking at the purty pics of the skyboxes in them. :)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #20332 by Chessking
So, regarding skyboxes. Remember what I said about raycasting each pixel, and if nothing collides running the background algorithm? I think we can do that. All we have to do is access the raw screen data in a script placed on the camera, before anything else is drawn. Run the x and y variables through the algorithm, making adjustments for the x y and z rotations as well as the Field of View. What I need help with is accessing the camera data.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 7 months ago #20333 by IronDuke
Which data specifically?

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #20334 by Chessking
The data that is gathered by the main camera and is then drawn on the screen. All of my searches have come up empty. The only thing I have found is creating a new canvas, which can be applied to the camera. But this would cover up objects in the game, I think. The purpose of this is to eliminate the giant blurry pixels caused by putting an image in the game world in front of the camera.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel