IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
7 years 5 months ago #20423 by Bozobub
Sweet! Thanks, at least several heaps' worth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20435 by IronDuke
Good grief, the model for the Advanced Command Section is an absolute mess! I don't know if PS originally modelled it that way or if it's simply a converter error, but the Heavy Corvette model was much cleaner. I'm going to have to manually remodel the cockpit area for sure. I'll wait until it's necessary though. Right now I'd rather work on immediate gameplay.
Basically, as long as you keep a little distance from the comsec, or are sitting inside it, it looks fine. But don't you dare give the exterior of the cockpit a close look. It's rather ugly.

Edit:
There's also a funny thing. When in first person view in I-War 2, the cockpit model you see is not the actual comsec model. It's a separate model of much higher quality; however, it does not at all match the geometry of the cockpit when viewed from the outside. I actually like the inside of the comsec model cockpit better than the jerry-rigged one.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #20496 by IronDuke
Good news: Someone else is doing the exact same thing with X-Wing! :lol: Not only that, they're using Unity just like I am, and are adding a requirement for owning a legit copy of the original before their remake works. (Although they're calling it a remaster - what the heck is the difference? XD ) Here's a link if you want to know more:
Linky linky

As for my own development, I got hit with an LDSi missile in the form of holidays, school, and other winter festivities/pains. :( Fortunately, I did manage to not only clean up the comsec model, I got it flying. :cheer: Works with all 6 DoF, and you can bind the controls to any combination of controllers. No flight assist as yet, so if you accelerate in a direction, you keep drifting, and if you start to rotate, you keep rotating until you manually correct it. Hilarious fun though, just zipping around a checkerboarded derpy pseudo-terrain I threw in. Oh, and it can be affected by gravity, and I have a localized gravity script from another project that I'll be throwing in, so that instead of being simply a universal downwards force, gravity can pull objects toward a specific location, AND the force of the gravity falls off correctly with distance. :cheer: This means you will be pulled towards planets, so stations and ships having actual orbits is going to be important. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this one; keeping a whole system properly orbiting, yet have active gravity is always hard.
What I plan on doing next is copy-pasting a damage model with basic projectile, beam, and missile weaponry into the game from another project - it's not the fancy thing I'd dreamed up with Chessking's help, but I love placeholders. :V Besides, I think it best to replicate the original game's story to a T before actually improving anything, to ensure that I keep to the original vision of the game. Plus it's a good idea to just get something done and completed.

Hope the rest of you had a Merry Christmas, and I wish you all a happy New Year! I plan on doing much more work on this project in January, since the new year is always a good time to start off anew. B)

Edited since the link doesn't work if I don't say linky linky. :p

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 7upMan

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #20575 by IronDuke
Okey dokey, flight assist is in and astoundingly operational. The ship behaves EXACTLY the same as in EoC. :cheer: To make things even better, there's a toggle to switch the flight assist on and off to suit your preference. Max throttle speed and max rotational speeds will be fully adjustable ingame; the settings are there already.

In another project that utilized the same flight model, I created an AI control system that will attempt to put the ship at a certain position and point in a certain direction, independently of each other. The position can be moving, and the ship will move with it because it takes its velocity into account. That's actually all that's really needed for AI flight control TBH; one can just think of fancy strings of positions and orientations to get all the fancypantaloony maneuvers you need.

In this same project, I have fully functioning projectile weapons, fully functioning beam weapons of both EoC and Freespace types, fully functioning missiles with intercepting flight as in EoC rather than trailing.

Next up is to bring both of these systems over to the EoC remake. B) Then cook up a few basic AI maneuvers, add a shielding system, give the weapons tracking ability using joints to simulate gimbals/turrets, then create an Instant Action mode. Then play it, record it, upload the video and link it to you guys. :) Hopefully it won't take me too long.

--IronDuke

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #20578 by IronyMan
Dude, you are the best.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear, a space sim to surpass Star Citizen, et cetera.

If there's any way I can help, lemme know. This project is awesome. Thumbs up to you, sir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronDuke

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #20580 by IronDuke

IronyMan wrote: Dude, you are the best.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear, a space sim to surpass Star Citizen, et cetera.

If there's any way I can help, lemme know. This project is awesome. Thumbs up to you, sir.

This will likely not surpass Star Citizen, you know. XD They have the CryEngine graphics, a much better flight assist, and way more peoples on their team. I'm just trying to remake I-War2 to be better than before; there's no way I'm beating Star Citizen. Anything in my remake that does so will likely be original PS material like the story or voice acting or whatnot.

As for helping, well, I don't know what you're good at. :V But keep an eye on here and if you notice me yakking about something you know stuff about, hit me. :)

--IronDuke