iTrafficCreation and iScriptedOrders

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #18407 by Joco
After some comments by GrandpaTrout I decided to start this thread to record my and others learnings in this area. I've only started on the simple functions at this point but hope to get proof code for preety much all the call patterns in these two packages.
Code:
iTrafficCreation.Start( iMapEntity.FindByName ( "Hoffers Wake Police Headquarters" ) ); // basic traffic in place // // made a group of 5 corvettes and sent them on a system patrol. hgroup traffic_group; traffic_group = iTrafficCreation.CustomLocalSecurityPatrol( iMapEntity.FindByName ( "Hoffers Wake Police Headquarters" ), ST_CombatHeavy, 5, A_Police, true ); Task.Detach ( start iScriptedOrders.SystemPatrol( traffic_group ) ); //

I'll post more as I learn more. Particularly the single ship commands.

Cheers,
Joco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12698 by Joco
I did some more tests tonight and was able to get it so my ship could follow the patrol. I tried both the local and system patrol options from iScriptedOrders with success. Success == following said patrols about.

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12700 by GrandpaTrout
Cool! Any progress is good.

The issue we have, is that if we want to replace the standard ships and factions then we need to understand how iTrafficCreation is structuring the group of ships. For instance, a Buda5 total conversion, or an Iwar 1 conversion would need another option for selecting ships.

There might be a few ways to discover what is happening (if your game for it) and the information would be useful to everyone. These are the types of things I would attempt this summer, but the Traffic release will go faster if someone else can do the needed research.

Use the group commands to examine the group returned by iTrafficCreation. How is it structured? Is it a group within a group? When I hand iScriptedOrders a group of ships, it complains there is no valid leader. Is the leader in a special group?

Does iTraffic call the formation commands, or does iScripted? You can see what call a POG package is making by looking at the package with a hex editor and reading the strings.

You can also look at the strings to learn what any object properties it is using are named. Look for strings that might indicate what calls are being made.

Then try to setup a package that returns a group that iScriptedOrders will accept and move around. Then you get to be famous!

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12701 by Joco
Ok - can do that. It will be tonights mission.

Happy to help out you guys anyway I can. :)

--- Updates/Info ---
I have done some initial tests on the nature of the hgroup returned. I think I will have sample code on this once I get home from work tonight (about 4-6hrs time)

Have some code working but the scripted orders seems to only be effecting the first member of my ship group. So partial success but still working on it.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12703 by GrandpaTrout
A call to iFormation might be needed to have all the ships follow the one leader.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12704 by Joco
Yeah - that was the conclusion I got to before calling it a night. Should all be good after work today. I'll post code then. :)

Ok - here is my working function:
Code:
task delayed_event ( float secs ) { hgroup traffic_group; hship ship1; hship ship2; hship ship3; Task.Sleep( Task.Current(), secs ); // create some new ships and add to a group traffic_group = Group.Create(); ship1 = iShip.Create( "ini:/sims/ships/utility/puffin", "Caroline"); iPilotSetup.Generic( ship1 ); Group.AddSim( traffic_group, ship1 ); Sim.PlaceNear( ship1, iMapEntity.FindByName ( "Hoffers Wake Police Headquarters" ), 1km ); ship2 = iShip.Create( "ini:/sims/ships/utility/puffin", "James"); iPilotSetup.Generic( ship2 ); Group.AddSim( traffic_group, ship2 ); Sim.PlaceNear( ship2, iMapEntity.FindByName ( "Hoffers Wake Police Headquarters" ), 1km ); ship3 = iShip.Create( "ini:/sims/ships/utility/puffin", "Alex"); iPilotSetup.Generic( ship3 ); Group.AddSim( traffic_group, ship3 ); Sim.PlaceNear( ship3, iMapEntity.FindByName ( "Hoffers Wake Police Headquarters" ), 1km ); // explicitly set the group leader, even though it should default as index 0 in the group. Group.PromoteSim( traffic_group, 0); // lock in a formation for the group iFormation.LineAbreast( traffic_group, 200.0, true ); debug Debug.PrintString("scenario_skeleton: Num sims in hgrp = "); debug Debug.PrintInt( Group.SimCount(traffic_group) ); debug Debug.PrintString("\n"); Task.Detach( start iScriptedOrders.SystemPatrol( traffic_group ) ); }