To the I-War community - Helpers needed!

More
14 years 7 months ago #16920 by DarkOne
I can host this mod as well if you give me a link to download it from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #16921 by SoupDragon
Use forum.admin [at] i-war2.com :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #16924 by aceattacker
Glad to see you, Soupdragon. I'll send you an e-mail as soon as the 0.2 version is ready.

DarkOne, thank you for your offer. The mod is currently being hosted at the Torn Stars website, link: www.torn-stars.com/index.php?option=com_...iew&gid=28&Itemid=81 . Anyone who can help with distribution is welcome, as long as everyone is given credit and accounted for. I'll be sure to mention you in the credits once REAL 0.2 comes out.

Oh, and I'm back at business, so don't worry about a thing - I'm not giving up on I-War anytime soon. I've also got the first I-War to work on XP - barely, it crashes at every attempt of capsule and after every mission, and my favourite controller is non-functional, so my combat performance suffered. I did get enough action to ascertain ship damage models in the first I-War. Let's just say I'll try my best to include the best aspects of the original's damage mechanics without torturing the player... much.

In between life and death, there is only one dream to care for.

I'm sorry for being so inactive lately. I haven't given up on REAL, but I've just applied for college successfully. I'm very busy with studying.

More
14 years 7 months ago #16927 by aceattacker
I've ran into a slight problem with the flux.ini tweaking, something that could also concern old Elite users.

In short: Too much user-specific information is saved in that file, such as the video driver used! If I just replace it with a preset flux, there'll be severe compability issues. Such issues may also be present in Elite, which works exactly like that.

My current proposed solutions is to make my own script, which will make a backup the current flux.ini, seek the icShip section and rewrite the values to mod specifics. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go, so I'm open to recommendations on getting this right. The biggest problem will be resetting the old flux.ini after the game is closed or the mod is removed. Just one crash could screw this up.

And one more thing. I've currently set "critical_damage_scale" and "criticals_per_impact" to 0.6, and the effect is quite noticable. Combat is more brutal, but not sadistically 'holy-crap-im-on-reserve-power-now!?' brutal.
At 50% strength may already be incapacitated due to weapon and/or thruster failure, especially if you take aim via sub-targetting. There's a few things to be resolved, though.

-So far, missiles don't seem to deal much subsystem damage, if any. I might have been remembering things incorrectly, but I-War 1's missiles well do crippling damage if you let just one through. Right now, a guided missile is a slap on the wrist for a heavy corvette. Any hints on how to change missile damage vs. subsystems?
-Crew is one of my major concern. I've currently that system not to regenerate - once the bridge crew is dead, they're gone without any chance to repair. Any detailed information on how exactly a ship without bridge crew changes in behaviour? And realistically, shouldn't a fighter with a shot out cockpit be unable to do anything at all?
-I haven't experimented with turret fighters yet, but I speculate they may be at risk. Be prepared to launch them when coming under fire. On the other hand, REAL gives some weapons good reach, so those T-Fighters might be useful now.
-How difficult would any of those tasks be:
--Create my own mission for use as a stand-alone instant action like scenario?
--Create my own side mission to insert during the campaign?
--Make visible cockpits struts that look like the old ComSec from I-War?
--Make sure only the ships with old ComSecs display those cockpit struts?

I'm sorry for being so inactive lately. I haven't given up on REAL, but I've just applied for college successfully. I'm very busy with studying.

More
14 years 7 months ago #16928 by cambragol
We use an installer, that is able to write specific entries in the players's current flux.ini. It is called the Inno installer. Easy to use and free. We adjusted the 'critical_damage_scale' and 'criticals_per_impact' as well.

I have seen ships with a dead crew stop moving, but then again I recall seeing just the opposite as well. I have never experimented here carefully. Worth checking out.
I haven't done anything with turret fighters either, but I am tempted, as it is a pretty cool model.

I am curently working on a full set of cockpits for a post release US addon, and I can tell you it is quite difficult. Especially when you know almost nothing about modelling. I will make a post at Torn Stars showing a couple of them. Actually I already added them to the gallery. You can see it here: www.torn-stars.com/index.php?opt ... itemId=327
You are welcome to use any I make if I manage to finish them. However, I cannot confidently call them 'well made', as they feel like little more than frankenstein monsters to me. IF only a real modeller would jump in and make a bunch of cockpits...

More
14 years 7 months ago #16929 by tombombodil
Im glad to see this forum and people who love the game as I do. I am still stuck on something, once I get out of it. I will be playing some of the levels that I am reading about. I think I need a patch as I get out of Lucrecias base, go to the training place, then to the first space station, I keep getting some kind of dampening field and cannot get out. Quite fustrating. Im on a PC. I will keep trying and try some of these patches.