New Mod Coming Soon!!

More
9 years 5 months ago #17297 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
Hi IronDuke, that definitely sounds interesting. If you need some inspiration WRT the creation process, you could look to Limit Theory (Josh the creator had started a very successful Kickstarter for his Elite inspired space sim about 2 years ago - ltheory.com/ ), and right now we can watch Shallow Space grow, a Homeworld/Nexus:TJI inspired space strategy game ( shallow-space.com/ ).

That being said, I wonder if Unity allows for a Newtonian flight model. You might want to check that out first. Also, have you looked into the open-sourced StarShatter code that was made available for everyone a few years back?

Anyway, I very much look forward to your project!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #17298 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
Good luck with that IronDuke.

More
9 years 5 months ago #17299 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
Thank you for those links 7upman, I was unaware of the existence of those games. In fact, I'll probably end up being them soon, although it doesn't look like they are out yet.
I was also unaware of Star Shatter. It seems to have a good Newtonian physics model. Speaking of, Unity3d does in fact support Newtonian physics to a large degree. It actually has the NVIDIA PhysX engine built in! (A major relief for me, because it cuts required work to a fraction.) I actually have a rudimentary flight model running, which, even when rudimentary, is actually more realistic than EoC already!![:0]
I'm not sure how exactly the Star Shatter source code could really help me though. The game I'm thinking of is a simulator in the best sense of the word. Think Microsoft's Flight Simulator X in space with lots of combat.
Thank you for your post; it's very helpful and encouraging, which I rarely encounter together.:p

--IronDuke

Signatures are out of style. Oh wait...:p

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #17300 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
I-War2 is mortal! Rest in peace, I-War2 dot com.
The game can of course still be purchased from gog dot com, so it may live a little longer than its site... I hope.
I will now be unable to make updates here regarding my space sim project, but if you want to look for it, it will probably be called 'The Milky Way War for Independence' or something along those lines, company name 'Brainstorm Productions' (I think. Better write that down.) It won't be around for years though, so we all might as well play ED while we wait ( except me, I'm busy working on my space sim and online games are hard for me to use.)
So long, everyone.
--IronDuke
Grass roots? Sure, but what if the ground itself is removed?

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #17301 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
IronDuke, you can still use thr GOG I-War forum to make announcements every now and then. I'm sure the mods won't mind.

Also, there is the Facebook news group for Nexus: TJI. James from Shattered Space uses it to keep us in the loop on his game Shattered Space. This is just one possibility to point interested folks to your project.

Anyway, it's sad that this site will close. I'll make sure to d/l all materials that I can find here. If enough folks will do so, hopefully, nothing will be lost.

More
9 years 4 months ago #17302 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic New Mod Coming Soon!!
I will retain a complete copy of the entire site including the mod files and forum DB, which you'll be able to download up to June 2015 when the domain expires. After then I'll retain a page on my site, which should be searchable via Google.