Creating a simple mod, not sure how to get started

More
9 years 1 month ago #19345 by jaggardos
Cambragol: I know what you mean, unfortunately, if I'm next to an npc ship and they fire up their LDS, I can hear it, and I don't think that's changeable without some script modification to stop them making that noise, same goes for weapon sounds when they are close.

7upMan: I'll give it a go, its a good idea. The explosions are already heavily muffled, I wrote in the description of the video that it would make the game boring if you removed ALL sound that wasn't inside the ship, so I just dulled everything. Thinking about the debris, it would be difficult as, if you think about it, if a ship explodes near you, the debris would happen almost instantaneously, whereas if it exploded far away, it would either be a short delay, or nothing at all. Unfortunately there can only be one sound for all situation, and so I don't think it would be possible to cover that man, sorry :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19346 by 7upMan

jaggardos wrote: Cambragol: I know what you mean, unfortunately, if I'm next to an npc ship and they fire up their LDS, I can hear it, and I don't think that's changeable without some script modification to stop them making that noise, same goes for weapon sounds when they are close.

Maybe the radio static would be a solution here as well? After all, they'll surely generate a strong EM field when firing up their LDS. You know, as in different types of static in contrast to what you actually hear being propagated through the hull.

7upMan: Thinking about the debris, it would be difficult as, if you think about it, if a ship explodes near you, the debris would happen almost instantaneously, whereas if it exploded far away, it would either be a short delay, or nothing at all. Unfortunately there can only be one sound for all situation, and so I don't think it would be possible to cover that man, sorry :(

I know, I came to that conclusion the instant I had hit the Submit button. ;-P

Anyway, maybe cambragol, being as knowledgeable as he is, can tell if if would be feasible to a) input a distance meter into the game's engine that calculates the distance as well as the trajectory of the ships and b) muffle and delay the debris crackling sound (via sound shader?) according to the calculations of the distance meter?

I have no idea if I-War 2 can work with sound shaders at all. I know Doom 3 could, and that's roughly from the same time period, but they are very different games.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19347 by jaggardos
Maaaaan it was only meant to be a simple mod, hence the title ;) But yeah, if someone can pull that out their hat then go for it, I can only do the sound stuff as opposed to the programming stuff

More
9 years 1 month ago #19354 by schmatzler
Very cool mod, that's just like Diaspora is doing things and I like their approach. Added it to the website:

www.i-war2.com/downloads/download/14-ass...3-audio-overhaul-mod

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19360 by cambragol

7upMan wrote: Anyway, maybe cambragol, being as knowledgeable as he is, can tell if if would be feasible to a) input a distance meter into the game's engine that calculates the distance as well as the trajectory of the ships and b) muffle and delay the debris crackling sound (via sound shader?) according to the calculations of the distance meter?

I have no idea if I-War 2 can work with sound shaders at all. I know Doom 3 could, and that's roughly from the same time period, but they are very different games.

I am not so knowledgeable anymore...However, I can see how this could all be done, relatively easily. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be close.

First step would be to create two entire sets of weapons/weapons effects. One for the player, one for the NPC. A bit of a bother, but mostly just copying the files, and referencing them correctly from each ship loadout/any where else referenced.

On the NPC ships the sounds are all changed to be 'crackle/debris' sound effects. The distance the effect is heard/works can be tweaked a little in the sound ini files. There would be no true measurement of distance, and sounds would be played instantly, but this could be ameliorated by restricting the 'crackle/debris' effects to close distance only.

Second step...none really. But Step one actually has a lot of little steps. Heh.

However, I don't think this would be a perfect setup. I am not sure how this would effect impacts to the PC/NPC hull. I can't remember how/where those are setup from, and if they can't be teased apart, things won't really work right.

In anycase, I think this would be feasible, though, as mentioned, my I-war2 modding knowledge is fading, and I may have overlooked something really basic.