question-circle Creating a simple mod, not sure how to get started

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #19337 by jaggardos
Thanks, pretty sure its working. Only issue is just some small clicks here and there but other than that I feel the game is more immersive with this mod.
Couldn't upload, so here is dropbox link: www.dropbox.com/s/7g4aar6dqyr33jf/audio_overhaul.zip?dl=0
Made a demo video here:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19338 by Chessking
Nice! I'll be sure to use it.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 1 month ago #19339 by 7upMan
Beautiful! Now if you only could get rid of the crackling noise, that would be great. Did you check if you are using the same sample rate/frequency as the original files? Are you using variable bitrate for the sound files? This often caused problems with legacy players back in the day.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19340 by jaggardos
Yeah I know, I'm a sound student so I know about this stuff :cheer: just being lazy. Its mainly the LDS loop and a couple of the pbc sounds that are the most annoying, will look at them at some point

More
9 years 1 month ago #19343 by cambragol
Sounds good! Although I loved the vanilla LDS sound effect, it can grate on ones ears after hundreds and hundreds of flights. A softening of the sound is a welcome change.

I didn't notice, but did your mod eliminate sounds for 'external' events, and limit things to the player ship only? I don't know whether that would be possible, without creating an entire set of effects/items for the player that do not cross-over with NPC effects/items.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19344 by 7upMan
You just gave ma an idea: jaggardos, would it be possible to strongly muffle or even completely block the sound of external explosions and replace it with some static crackling and some crackling sound on the hull?

I'll explain: My thinking goes along the lines that whenever a ship explodes, there is also an electro-magnetic reaction due to the exploding reactor. That would explain the static crackling. Also, there would be micro-debris that would clutter against your hull.

Now feel free to tell be if my idea is not feasible (or just plain stupid ^^), but maybe you'll like it.