Modifying default ship.ini's

More
7 years 5 months ago #20443 by IronDuke
I guess I probably should have tested it myself. I'll do so today after school. :) Whatever's wrong, I'll fix it.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20444 by IronDuke
Well, it seems I managed to break my I-War 2 install. I'll have to reinstall it, but today's been kinda tough, so I can't check the mod today. :(
Sorry about that.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #20445 by ataraiym
Oh - errm nothing to do with what you are kindly testing for me I hope?

No rush and I DO appreciate the help, you'd think this was simpler but it seems not.

!(>..<)!

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20446 by IronDuke
Hah, no, not related. If I don't play I-War 2 for a couple months, the install often gets queer. Games installed on the hard drive corrupt anyway after a few years, and I haven't reinstalled this particular location for at least five. To top it off, I've been tinkering with some other stuff, so it's no surprise that it copped out on me.
I'll install it on the SSD this time, as it's so small.

I agree this should be simpler. I don't have a clue why it's not working as I gave it to you, but I'll find out. *mutters incoherently about racks and stocks* I'll find out... muhahahaha...

You've probably noticed that if something with I-War 2 does not go EXACTLY as it's supposed to, I mobilize my armies. :silly: It's an effect of knowing so much about the game that you can't rest if it misbehaves and you don't know why. :whistle:

Edit: My struggles have borne fruit! :evil: Actually, I just checked to see if compatibility mode was still on, and it seems Windows managed to turn it off somehow, so I switched it back on and the game ran fine. I tested the mod, the exact one that's in the .zip I attached, and it works. The tug handles like a patcom.

Bear in mind that it only affects the normal tug in game. The instant action tug is unaffected, and the tug you use when busting out of jail also is unaffected, as it's a different file.

Oh, I just remembered something! The game reads the .ini file only when you select which ship to use! The .ini file is actually copied to the save. I only remembered because I was thinking about this one other mod I made. Every time I changed a stat on the corvette, in order for the game to notice, I had to switch to another ship in the hanger, and then back to the corvette so it would reload the file. Try this! Switch to the command section, then back to the tug, and launch to see if it works! :)

--IronDuke

More
7 years 5 months ago #20447 by IronDuke
Posting because I just remembered edits don't send emails to those subbed to the thread. Ataraiym, check my edit on the post above. B)

--IronDuke

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20448 by Bozobub
By the by, usually if IWar 2 (and its variants) fail, after working previously, it's due to a corrupted registry entry. You can often copy out those keys while it's working, then simply reapply them if there's an issue, and *pouf* it works!

You can also do something similar to switch between multiple installs of IWar 2 (say, Torn Stars and the Vanilla game), by making multiple .reg files, one for each install. I posted the following 11 years ago(!) on the old Torn Stars subforum (thank heaven it was still there to copy/paste, with a couple of changes):

First, you need one copy of EOC modded to Torn Stars (or w/e variant), and another copy in its original (fully patched! :D) form. I installed EOC to the path: "C:\program Files\games\Independence War 2 -Edge of Chaos" and Torn Stars to the path "F:\More Games\IWAR 2 - Torn Stars". It doesn't really matter which is which, so if you've already installed Torn Stars over your old EOC game, just reinstall EOC to a new folder with a new name/path of your choice.

OK, now whichever executable you run in either install, your system will actually execute the version you installed MOST RECENTLY. Bummer. There is, however, a reasonably easy solution. All it takes is a little registry hackin' :). In fact, just copy each of the two text bits below (including "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00") and save with the extension ".reg" (not ".txt"!)to two separate files and you're set! I used the filename "EOC.reg" for the first one and "Torn Stars.reg" for the second. Yeah, I know, imaginative - lol. ;)

OK, this 1st bit will be to set your game to run your original EOC. You'll need to change all instances where I show 'C:\\PROGRA~1\\GAMES\\INDEPE~1' to your actual install path for EOC. Yes, the backslashes are doubled! Keep in mind that these are old-school path names that are truncated to 8 characters; you MUST keep the tilde, as well:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos] "DisplayName"="Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos" "UninstallString"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\GAMES\\INDEPE~1\\UNWISE.EXE C:\\PROGRA~1\\GAMES\\INDEPE~1\\INSTALL.LOG" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Edge of Chaos\Settings] "Options"=dword:00000001 "InstallPath"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\GAMES\\INDEPE~1\\" "Version"=dword:0000000e

And now the version to set your system to run Torn Stars. Again, you'll need to change all instances where I show 'F:\\MOREGA~1\\IWAR2-~1' to your actual install path for Torn Stars.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos] "DisplayName"="Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos" "UninstallString"="F:\\MOREGA~1\\IWAR2 ~1\\UNWISE.EXE F:\\MOREGA~1\\IWAR2 ~1\\INSTALL.LOG"<font color="black"></font id="black"> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Edge of Chaos\Settings] "Options"=dword:00000001 "InstallPath"="F:\\MOREGA~1\\IWAR2 ~1" "Version"=dword:0000000e
That's it! I've tested it and it works dandy. Just double-click (or right-click and select "Open") to activate the corresponding .reg file whenever you want to change the version that runs, then click "Yes" when it asks if you want to add the data to the registry. It's probably advisable to use a separate shortcut to each version - I do - but AFAIK you actually only need ONE; it'll run the version most recently switched to, whichever you choose. As a nice little bonus, as long as you switch to the correct version before you do so, uninstalling will also work correctly on that version...

Hope that helps.