Server Online

More
20 years 2 months ago #8473 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Server Online
I still haven't had time to install EOC on my new XP-machine.

Have you had any luck with your proposed method?

Did you find the source of the server crashes? It could be something in your flux.ini.
You might want to try out a dedicated server. (look down at the bottom of the file EpicOnlb/Readme/english/general.doc.) That has all the flux.ini settings (for MP) that I cut and pasted directly out of my game.

Have Gun, Will Travel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8474 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic Server Online

Originally posted by Tarcoon

What about patching the maindirectory and simple copy it a few times , rename them after installing the different mods and switch between them?

By the way, I'm not able to host a server anymore - the game crashes all the time.
It's a good reason to reinstall the game and try that copy-stuff.

Having a seperate user for EoC may be useful too.

I did a similar thing when we played Epic, do you rememer? I installed EoC, put the basic patches (F14) and made a copy (zip) of it. Then i created two diferent folders, one for normal SP game with elite, ifleet... mods and another with Epic. The trick is that you need to rename the folders everytime you play, you cannot execute the executables of the game into the folder you use. Ill explain better:

Install EoC to:
c:\games\EoC

Basic patch and make the backup. Now create two folders:
c:\games\Epic
c:\games\SP <-- normal game

Make a copy of the backup to each of that directories (now you can reuse the EoC to waste not so much time). You can apply now patches and mods in diferrent ways for different folders.

Now, if you want to play EoC SP yo have to rename:
c:\games\SP --> c:\games\EoC

If you want to play Epic:
c:\games\Epic --> c:\games\EoC

This is because even if you applyu diferrent patches the game STILL searchs the databases into the folder where it was installed: c:\games\EoC

You have to be renaming one time after another to get the games working, but at least it grants you can play in two ways without too much problems and if one of the versios die and you still have the backup, its a thing of minutes get it working again.

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
20 years 1 month ago #8741 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Tarcoon

By the way, I'm not able to host a server anymore - the game crashes all the time.

Have you got that fixed in the meantime?

I just installed EOC on XP pro (on my new PC) and had no problems at all. Even got it to run a dedicated server. It ran with no problem for about 1/2 hour while I was connected to it via Internet (not Lan) with my other PC. (A rough game with several players could show problems I didn't see this time, but time will tell.)

You can set up a separate user account for EOC to fix the the dot and comma issue that seriously affects EOC on the European version of XP.
I only changed the Regional Settings on that user account at "Standards and currency Formats" to English (USA) while leaving the language set to German. (I left the setting at "Germany" on the main account. WinXP seems to have no problems dealing with 2 different settings when you switch between accounts)

Just to be on the safe side I set the EOC.exe (and the shortcut for the dedicated server) to win98 compatibility mode via properties. (I didn't even try the game before setting the compatibility mode.)

The only minor issue is with the integrated firewall in XP. You have to turn it off manually before you start a game. (Because I couldn't find a way to have the firewall turned off on the EOC user account and on, on the main account.)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 1 month ago #8752 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Server Online
I managed to cut me off from internet by changing some firewall configurations - XP firewall is disabled - I use sygate.

I swiched off my firewall to host a game, but this didn't work any longer. I guess the needed ports stay closed after disabeling my firewall. I didn't find a workaround by now.
Joining a game is possible, hosting a game not.[?][?][?]

I installed a user for EoC and deleted "him" again. I have to be in the mood for personalizing the desktop theme and installing the needed software. I can't stand that standard XP theme[V]
( www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?l ... kinID=5703 - I love this one:p

Changing the dot and comma stuff has no influence on my system. I wonder about that, but it works well.

No probs with compatibility.

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 1 month ago #8756 by MajorTom
Just disabling the firewall doesn't open the ports. Even with the firewall disabled you still have to open the ports "manually".

Here is a link to Gamespy with information about configuring firewalls.

www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

I didn't see anything about Sygate, but at least it lists the ports that have to be opened (you'll probably have to open each of the port numbers for both TCP and UDP).

Could be that you can't host because one of those ports aren't open, while you have enough ports open to be a client (??)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 1 month ago #8759 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Server Online
This gamecrashing drives me mad[}:)]

I reinstalled the game and set my firewall to "allow all", even then I can't get a connection.

flux.log tells me:
LOADER: [unknown] Entering WinMain
FLUX: [unknown] Trying to create application of class "iwar2.icServerApp"
FLUX: [unknown] Application created successfully
FLUX: [unknown] Initialising Server "Templar's Lair"
FLUX: [unknown] ServerSessionIndexFromName() Connecting to address "" session "Templar's Lair"

[?][?][?]

MT - be so kind and check your log - it seems to me the "address" is missing.

I don't remember to install something strange or change internet settings.
I still have this booting problem - a blue screen appears for 0.5 sec, but I can't read anything.
Then I get a choice to run secure mode or last known regular version or "Start windows normally".
Whatever I do, there is no hint for this malfuction.

There is no safe distance