Dedicated Multiplayer Server

More
8 years 11 months ago #19579 by IronDuke
Waaahaaahaaaa, the computer I use for I-War2 is not the one with Internet! Circumstances here make it impossible for me to do multiplayer! :'( I so wanted to clobber you guys! :evil: :(
Oh well. (Sniff.) Another year, and I might be able to. Then, check your six!!

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19582 by RichardSkinner
I just dusted off my play disk from when I got Iwar2 for christmas FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. can't believe its still in good shape.

even the jeweled case is still in once piece.

It better still work for multiplayer and I better not have to buy the game again for $5 lol

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #19583 by schmatzler
Have fun testing it out - I really need some sleep, it's almost 3 am here now :D

I'm still figuring out how to get more bots into the game. I've set ai_bots = 1 and ai_bots_count = 2, but when I join, I am always fighting only one Bad Boris.

I've also set this:
Code:
cycle_packages[0] = dm cycle_maps[0] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/generic_02 cycle_maps[1] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/generic cycle_maps[2] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/piracy cycle_maps[3] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/mining

If I'm right, this should lock the server to Deathmatch only and cycle through the 4 available maps for it.

I'm signing out, will do the rest tomorrow. ;)

Edit: Back up. Starting the server with aic = 2 and leaving out aib gives us two bots. Yeehaw! Now I'll tighten that up (because they're still too weak) and we're good to go. :)

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #19591 by schmatzler
I've noticed that the server was stuck on the generic map and wouldn't cycle anymore. The problem is that it needs a gametype (dm,tdm) for every map, even if the gametype never changes.

Also, the first map that comes up directly after starting it is outside of the cycle, it's specified like this:
Code:
[icServerApp] system = ini:/multiplayer/maps/mining

The cycle itself kicks in with this:
Code:
[FcServer] cycle_packages[0] = dm cycle_packages[1] = dm cycle_packages[2] = dm cycle_packages[3] = dm cycle_maps[0] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/generic cycle_maps[1] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/piracy cycle_maps[2] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/generic_02 cycle_maps[3] = ini:/multiplayer/maps/mining

I've battled some of the bots on every map now and it works. :)

Also, if no one is connected to the server, it will halt the time and continue counting when the battle starts again.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19592 by RichardSkinner
I try to edit the target in my loader and it says its not valid :( :(

I am using the US CD version, You said it works with the German CD so idk why it would be different.

I know the online game is only 5 bucks but it burns my ass to buy it if i've been taking care of this disk for so dang long lol

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #19593 by schmatzler
"Not valid" sounds like a windows error - sure you didn't make a typo? :blush:

It does work with the retail CD's, but we have to do more things:

- Install patch F14.6
- Maybe swap out the igame.dll to remove the NoCD check
- Create a new shortcut, with this target line:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Edge of Chaos - Independence War 2\bin\release\loader.exe" -hsn "i-war2 GOG" -hip "i-war2.com"

- Start in:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Edge of Chaos - Independence War 2\"

Note that the German installer has a typo in it, it puts the game into the "Indepedence War" folder instead of "Independence War". ;) Don't know if that happened with other versions, too.

For the US version the target line should be this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Edge of Chaos\bin\release\loader.exe" -hsn "i-war2 GOG" -hip "i-war2.com"

Start in:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Edge of Chaos\"