EoC instability

More
17 years 5 months ago #18896 by Alpha_Monkey
EoC instability was created by Alpha_Monkey
Right, the game runs fine, while it does actually run. But sooner or later it always freezes up, forcing me to restart my PC. No response to alt-tabbing, ctrl-alt-deleting, or button-mashing.
It also doesn't appear to be tied to the amount of on-screen action, or specific events.

Now, I've figured that setting all the gfx options to minimum helps it last longer (maybe an hour), but it still freezes eventually.

Trial and error tells me:
- It isn't Version-specific, since it does the same with the patch, and in the demo.

- It isn't my drivers, since I've tested several gfx drivers and versions of DirectX.

- Virus scans are coming up negative.

- A fresh install of the game doesn't help.

My system is a 900mhz cpu, radeon 9700, winXP. 3-hundred-something Mb of RAM, too.
Hardly a modern PC, but in excess of the recommended specs, so there's no good reason it should be so unstable.

Any ideas, fellas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #15662 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic EoC instability
Sound was the great weakness of EoC.

edit flux.ini with notepad. Find the line disable_sound=0 and change it to disable_sound=1

If the problem goes away, then it is an issue with your sound codecs and not the graphics.

More
17 years 5 months ago #15665 by Alpha_Monkey
Replied by Alpha_Monkey on topic EoC instability
Nah, no joy.

I thought I'd gotten away with it, but it froze up just after being blatted by a carrier.

[:(]