EoC starts to hang up, need help

More
17 years 3 months ago #18940 by desperate EOC2 user
Hello,

i have a serious problem on hand...everytime i start the game and want to start a mission (begin a new game or continueing another one...even in muliplayer) the game starts to hang up, without any errormessage. it just hangs up.

i already tried to update the game with patch2...it did not help. i even istalled it on several HDDs...same problem. any ideas?

thanks in advance

desperate EOC2 user

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #15915 by GrandpaTrout
It would be helpful to know exactly what you see when the game stops. And the menu items, button presses you do to get to the hang. All the way from clicking the icon on the desktop to the hang.

When EoC was new, most hangs were sound issues. So it is worth trying that. You can disable the sound as a test and see if the game will play.

open the flux.ini file with notepad. Then find the line
disable_sound=0
and change that to
disable_sound=1

Then try the game again. Aside from sound, most of the crashes reported these days seem to come from new video drivers.

So post up your systems specifications (always a good idea when asking for help) and perhaps someone with your hardware can say if the game runs for them.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16029 by Exaercase
Hello,

Just a post to say i'm happy to see a new player in 2007 for this marvellous game :) i dont know for enbglish game but for french the patch level is F14.6 so ... try this level on my computer, Intel Double Heart, Geforce 8800 GTX, Window XP is work so i thnikit could work on many computer.

Persit to try to made it work you will not regret it :d

<b>Bien mal acquis ne profite qu'après !!!</b>

More
17 years 3 months ago #16127 by desperate EOC2 user
Quote: GrandpaTrout

"It would be helpful to know exactly what you see when the game stops. And the menu items, button presses you do to get to the hang. All the way from clicking the icon on the desktop to the hang.

When EoC was new, most hangs were sound issues. So it is worth trying that. You can disable the sound as a test and see if the game will play.

open the flux.ini file with notepad. Then find the line
disable_sound=0
and change that to
disable_sound=1

Then try the game again. Aside from sound, most of the crashes reported these days seem to come from new video drivers.

So post up your systems specifications (always a good idea when asking for help) and perhaps someone with your hardware can say if the game runs for them."

"It would be helpful to know exactly what you see when the game stops."
That'S the problem...i see _nothing_ it just hangs up. I'm starting the game as usual.Then i get the normal startmenu "new game" "load game" "options" etc.

Let's say i wanna start a new game. The first thing that sohws up is the video where this little boy starts the escapepod. Well...after the first second the video hangs up and so does the whole game. no errormessage...nothing.

And now let's say i wanna start a savegame (i got one from a friend of mine, for testingpurpose), i load the game and first it seems just fine. then i click on start and it starts to load, but after one second it hangs up (i guess when it starts to load the stellar cluster...according to the debugmode...)

I guess (as you pointed out) it's my all new graphicscard. nvidiea geforce NX7800 with up to date drivers. i guess the game only works with a few new graphiccards or a few old ones.

i also tried to install old drivers and old graphiccrads (erazor x² and fx5700)...did not help, same problem. maybe my computer is simply to new for this game. (w2k, 2 GHZ cpu soundblaster soundcard etc. motherboard a7n8x-x...all the new drivers and directx 9.0c)

I'll try the soundthing as you wrote, but i doubt it would work for me (yeah sounds pessimistic...i know)

btw. sry for waiting to give you guys an reply. but i'm really busy these days.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16128 by desperate EOC2 user
QUOTE Exaercase

"Hello,

Just a post to say i'm happy to see a new player in 2007 for this marvellous game :) i dont know for enbglish game but for french the patch level is F14.6 so ... try this level on my computer, Intel Double Heart, Geforce 8800 GTX, Window XP is work so i thnikit could work on many computer.

Persit to try to made it work you will not regret it :d"

already did that before i came to this board...didn't help either.

thx anyway :)