No Sound effects

More
16 years 4 months ago #19046 by diablos
No Sound effects was created by diablos
Hi, I've recently reinstalled my copy of EoC and I've come across as small problem, no soundeffects, music and speech are fine and the game itself runs fine any ideas?

AMD Athalon 3400+ 2.2 ghz
2GB DDr 400 ram
Radeon x700
Realtek AC97 onboard sound

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #16713 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic No Sound effects
Hmm, odd, anything in the logs about it?

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

More
16 years 4 months ago #16714 by JT
Replied by JT on topic No Sound effects
Which version of DirectX are you using? Windows XP (9.x) or Vista (10.x)? I know that DirectX 10 is about as backwards compatible as driving in reverse in the fast lane on a freeway.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
16 years 4 months ago #16715 by diablos
Replied by diablos on topic No Sound effects
I'm using Direct x 9.0c on Xp professional, From myDirect x diagnostic my machine can only use a software buffer aparently, I'm not exactly sure what that means.

thanks for your reply

More
16 years 4 months ago #16721 by JT
Replied by JT on topic No Sound effects
Hm, so it's not a Vista issue.

However, a software buffer means that the system can't use your sound card (or integrated on-board sound on your motherboard) if you have them; it's using your computer's CPU and RAM to store the sound effects to be output to your speakers instead of using any of your computer's sound-playing hardware (dedicated hardware is of course much, much better at handling the sounds to be output).

If you don't have any sound card or integrated sound card, it's possible that I-War2 doesn't know what to do and just assumes that it can't play any sounds. Otherwise, I have no idea -- I've never had problems with sound. Sorry!

More
15 years 4 days ago #16869 by bezredahl
Replied by bezredahl on topic No Sound effects
Ummm, maybe a stupid question for you, but have you gone into your options menu -> Sound and turned the effects volume up?
Speech, music, movies and effects are all handled seperately in EOC. I turned the music volume to 0.
This can als be adjusted in the flux.ini here:
[fcSoundDeviceDA]
distance_factor = 0.5
rolloff_factor = 0.27
doppler_shift_factor = 0.05
effects_volume = 0.8
speech_volume = 0.6
music_volume = 0

Valid values are 0 to 1 in .1 increments