file New to I-War2 and No Idea What I am DOING!

More
8 years 5 months ago #19920 by Coloradomtnman
While I appreciate the fact that this is a mod and mods tend to have some problems, the vanilla game doesn't interest me at the moment. I want to scratch that open-world/space trader/exploration/combat itch and EVE's skill progression system is slow (I love EVE just plateau'ed at the moment), X3 is good but SLOW, Freelancer is good but too combat oriented, and Evochron Mercenary is good but has a limited economy and feels empty, Space Rangers is all about dodging asteroids and is 2D (therefore not immersive for me), and Spaceforce Rogue Universe is meh. Pioneer is great but free flying is extremely difficult, and I have to upgrade for Elite Dangerous. This was my last option for 3D open-world, do-whatever-you-want space faring game. I just wish it would work.

And I can't find a work around anywhere for this one particular problem.

Sigh.

Oh, well.

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #19922 by Chessking
I totally relate with you about the open world experience, and especially the combat oriented deal that many games (including vanilla EOC) has. I think that without Torn Stars, EOC would not be as good of a game.

By the way, have you played the original Elite games? I know they're old, but they are free and do a good job with having multiple career paths.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #19924 by Coloradomtnman
I have played the older Elite and games and the newer-ish Oolite. Good games needless to say, but gameplay doesn't quite scratch that itch properly. Like a back itch that you can reach, but your fingernails are too dull to REALLY do the trick.

I guess I want something that doesn't exit. Open world, with EVE's and X3's complexity but with Elite's flight model, Pioneer's planetary landings, EVE's player base and player driven economy, and Elite: Dangerous's graphics, sound, and universe map, in a rich game universe with cogent lore.

And I want it NOW!

Also, I want to first person explore ships, asteroids, moons, various kinds of space stations, derelict ships, miscellaneous other objects in space and on planets of all kinds (including floating mining stations on gas giants) and complete missions and do sandbox game things like resource extraction and construction of planetary, moon, and space facilities while 1st person fighting enemies and earning experience so I can level up and gain perks Skyrim style. And galactic empire expansion a la X3.

Is that so much to ask?

All I need is my own personal home supercomputer.

And a willing game dev who doesn't care that he/she will most likely be financially ruined before completing such a task.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19926 by Chessking

I have played the older Elite and games and the newer-ish Oolite. Good games needless to say, but gameplay doesn't quite scratch that itch properly. Like a back itch that you can reach, but your fingernails are too dull to REALLY do the trick.

I have played the old MechWarrior games, and I enjoyed them. But the graphics of MechWarrior 4 made it fun in a different, more professional way.

Hmmm...

EOC is definitely not the game for you. Many of the proposals for an I-War 3 have included such ideas, but right now such things have not been implemented. The closest thing I can think of is Limit Theory, which isn't done yet. Also, Limit Theory will not have explorable ships, stations, etc.

I take it you're not the willing game dev you mentioned. I have had some interest in creating a space game, but with other games on the market that have almost everything you could ask for, I changed my mind.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #19927 by IronDuke

Coloradomtnman wrote: I have played the older Elite and games and the newer-ish Oolite. Good games needless to say, but gameplay doesn't quite scratch that itch properly. Like a back itch that you can reach, but your fingernails are too dull to REALLY do the trick.

I guess I want something that doesn't exit. Open world, with EVE's and X3's complexity but with Elite's flight model, Pioneer's planetary landings, EVE's player base and player driven economy, and Elite: Dangerous's graphics, sound, and universe map, in a rich game universe with cogent lore.

And I want it NOW!

Also, I want to first person explore ships, asteroids, moons, various kinds of space stations, derelict ships, miscellaneous other objects in space and on planets of all kinds (including floating mining stations on gas giants) and complete missions and do sandbox game things like resource extraction and construction of planetary, moon, and space facilities while 1st person fighting enemies and earning experience so I can level up and gain perks Skyrim style. And galactic empire expansion a la X3.

Is that so much to ask?

All I need is my own personal home supercomputer.

And a willing game dev who doesn't care that he/she will most likely be financially ruined before completing such a task.

Join the club, buddy. We all have that insatiable desire, and the more we feed it, the more it grows. (and before anyone asks, NO, I am not recommending getting off space games. Goodness no!)

[ShamelessSelfPromotion]Have you checked out the IronDuke's Space Game thread? I may be making what you're looking for...[/ShamelessSelfPromotion]

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 5 months ago #19937 by 7upMan
I can only echo what Chessking said about Limit Theory. The game is still in development and was on hold for about half a year (due to the dev's personal issues), but if you like, you can have a look at LT's YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/LimitTheory/videos

The game is gorgeous, so say the least, and since *everything* there is procedurally generated (except sounds and music), the game's environments are not only varied, but the game is also very small (at the time of the last update it was around 170 MB, IIRC).

Anyway, in LT's forums (forums.ltheory.com/index.php) you can find much more information, especially if you look for Josh Parnell's posts. Also, in case you are interested, here is the original Kickstarter for LT: www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell...rocedural-space-game