HUD Scaling - Independence War 2

• SuicidalFoetus
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #20300 by SuicidalFoetus
HUD Scaling - Independence War 2 was created by SuicidalFoetus
Hi Guys.

I recently reloaded the game to give it another run through after purchasing a new HOTAS system.

However I noticed that If I try to play this at 1920x1080 that it is hard to read the HUD as the HUD does not scale to the game resolution. Not a problem back in the old days of GeForce 2 cards and 4.3 monitors, where the fog in the Efreet worked properly. This is further exacerbated by the fact that my eyes aren't what they used to be. (Old age, bummer dude.)

Does anyone know if there is anyway in the Flux.ini file to scale the HUD or if there are any mods out there that increase the size of the HUD.

As a side note I am running on a 2560x1440 gaming monitor but the game doesn't seem to want to go above 1920x1080 despite the requisite resolution being selectable in game. Any advice on setting higher resolutions. I realise the latter is moot point if the HUD scaling can't be fixed.

Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #20301 by schmatzler
The game uses DirectX7 and the max resolution for that is 2048x1536 according to various sources. Since the DX8 patch never got released you're out of options there.

I'm not aware of any HUD scaling mods either. :(

Space. The final frontier.

• SuicidalFoetus
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20302 by SuicidalFoetus
Replied by SuicidalFoetus on topic HUD Scaling - Independence War 2
Thanks Schmatzler

It's a shame they didn't implement DirectX 8 Support.

There is a setting in the Flux.ini that shows it was intended.

Regards

More
7 years 7 months ago #20303 by Chessking
Perhaps Ubermodder IronDuke has something to say. Scaling the HUD could or could not be possible, depending on all sorts of stuff only Ironduke or Cambrogal would know.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 7 months ago #20304 by IronDuke
Tee hee... Ubermodder... I like that title... :evil:

The HUD as it is cannot be scaled. The way it was implemented prohibits that because the functionality simply was not added. There are ways around that, but they're a ton of work.
-One way is to simply create a zoomed-in version of the HUD textures, at say 512x512 instead of 256x256. The problem there is that I've never tried that, so I don't know for sure if that would even work. But that should cause them to take up more screen space, since instead of being measured in monitor pixels, they're measured in the pixels of whatever resolution you are running. Really a pain.
-Another way is to code a custom GUI with a slider to adjust size. This would require a thorough knowledge of POG and a ton of time to test it. And things like the ORB might be impossible to replicate. While I know POG, I've never yet worked with the GUI and any attempts to do so would take away from the time working on my remake. What I have noticed though is that the GUI is quite sensitive to the gamma setting; maybe you could tinker with that?

Sorry I can't help more. I've modded over a dozen games, and always the thing frustrating my efforts is engine limitations. This is the reason I'm going into game development. I want to have nothing stopping me from making whatever I want.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #20306 by Chessking
Actually, its Übermodder . Fifth post on the page.

I wasn't the first to think of it. :P

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel