Ideas for faction relations

More
17 years 11 months ago #15070 by Canute
Replied by Canute on topic Ideas for faction relations
sometimes these suicidal Station attacks arn't that suicidal.
I was once at these entertainment station and just want ask these outlaw about hiden station and my Ship made Boom together with the rescue pod and the station.

I don't know what happen, i just saw outlaws was attacking the station before but i ignored them. I didn't know the station explosion got these bug blast-radius. But maybe the outlaws just hit an AM-Cargo pod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #15112 by Bozobub
Replied by Bozobub on topic Ideas for faction relations
As a thought - I imagine y'all already thought of this - any faction "fade"-to-mean should have a random positive or negative weighting each check... That way, over TIME relations will change, but an astute player be able to figure exactly how long it'll take.

Another thing that popped into mind was that faction standing (much diluted, of course) would be more realistic if they spread among allied factions. This shouldn't be hard to code along with the rest outlined here, and would surely add a lot of thought to any hostile (or for that matter, friendly) action to any given faction, especially if they have a LOT of friends!:D Also would greatly add to pressure to takes "sides", as GrandpaTrout sez.

Bozobub

More
17 years 9 months ago #15270 by esraven
Replied by esraven on topic Ideas for faction relations

Originally posted by Shane

Consider: have you ever heard of a space sim where you played 30 hours but never fired a shot? What would your initial reaction be if you read, on the box, that you could play 30 hours and never have to engage in combat? That the road to success was to never fight?

In fact, yes,
Most space sims I like allow to choose the path of trader. You can go shooting but you are not forced too, as long as you keep yourself in secure systems.
To name some of those games:
EvE: I make their fortunes just by trading. I don' need to go shooting and most of the time I don't.
Same for X3, the reunion: there too I take the path of trader.
In those games, you are just part of the sim and not the main focus of the game. Skirmishes happen but not because you are there.

More
17 years 9 months ago #15280 by cambragol
I can understand both paths, that of the trader and 'merc'. I think what Shane was pointing out was that the only way to be successful at trading was to never engage in battle. Meaning that the severity of repercussions for piracy or hostility of any kind completely snuffed out any chance of earning a profit. GrandpaTrout and I felt that he had a point, as it would be nice to have a balance that allowed both pure trading, and a mixture of trading and combat for those who like that.
I know that when I played Privateer back in the day, I spent most of my time doing pure trading, but I occasionally did some mercenary/pirate work. It is nice to have the option at least.

More
17 years 8 months ago #15351 by dezgard
Replied by dezgard on topic Ideas for faction relations
what about breaking a ship down to dockable parts technicly making it damagable at diffrent sections like losing weaponds and such i tried this with a tug making the 4 engine outlets as docked thus making them destruckable 1 gets destroyed ans speed thrust is reducted 25% it has 4 engine outlets so 25% each sorry my englist is bad

what do you think ?

More
17 years 8 months ago #15352 by cambragol
Well, that is a very interesting suggestion dezgard. A little off the subject of faction relations however. Nonetheless, did you actually get a ship based off dockable parts working and flying in game? Grandpatrout and I were considering doing something like this in the future. We would be curious to know how difficult it is to do, if you have done it