I-War 2, EOC, 2-D

More
8 years 3 months ago #20055 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic I-War 2, EOC, 2-D
I have been making more progress on this. I have been working offline mostly, so all I can show you is the new procedurally generated background in the flight demo, as linked to before. Mostly I have been re-writing the flight demo to be more efficient, utilizing that efficiency with flight assist, prototyping the next stages, and working with them to make them more efficient. I have the foundation for most of the functionality laid out. The largest hurdle will be dynamic collisions, but my new thruster system should be able to create Newtonian results easily. Below is my release plan with other information.

Stage 1: Flight demo. (completed)
Stage 2: demo. (in progress)
Stage 3: release.

The demo and release will have several formats available:

1. Khan Academy program: the game can be streamed through Khan Academy.
2. Since the program is written in Javascript, it can be added to any website easily (although modding would be difficult)
3. Offline
4. Offline with an asset generator to reduce loading time
5. Offline with assets downloaded with the program

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #20194 by Chessking
This was my programming project for the month of April. What I accomplished:

Rewriting the program after It was deleted along with the rest of my operating system.

That is pretty much all. In the process, I did improve some things:
Flight assist is better than ever, using dot product.
Fullscreen looks better, and automatically adjusts to the users screen size.
I have worked more on the shooting mechanics.
If I need the keyCode of a key, I can find out with the press of a button. Much better then editing the code and restarting the program.
I can zoom in and out.

My progress thus far in May is coming right up in a different thread, titled "Dynamic Keybinder".

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #20231 by Chessking
I have made advancements in a number of different areas.

First, I have added the first bit of UI, the contact list. I added the ability to toggle between ships, and have added indicators around the ships on the screen.

I have also made the first station: a biobomber, and it looks pretty good. A technical explanation is below.

Warning: Spoiler!

I have also imported the other ships I have made into the game, scaled them all down to the correct size, and got it so that the engines and thrusters scaled properly as well. Now that I have the biobomber, a need for information has become apparent. I used the descriptions on this site to scale the ships to the correct length, but some of the information is "classified". In addition, I need to know the lengths of stations, the speed and power of different weapons, etc. At the moment I am not sure where to find the information.

Now that I had created the contact list and targeting system, I was able to add the first autopilot: autopilot approach. It will need some more work, since it assumes zero speed at start and a still target, but it works.

Is anyone interested in screenshots of this?

I am starting a job next week, so I won't have as much time to work on this.

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #20232 by Chessking
I forgot to mention something, and I do not have edit permissions. I have created a field that works similarly to an LDSI field, except anything outside of it will be killed after a period of time. I have also added remote link ability, as I wrote the code with it in mind, so it was easy to add. Now, I can remote link all of the other ships and fly them out of the ring.

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago #20233 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I-War 2, EOC, 2-D

Chessking wrote: I have also imported the other ships I have made into the game, scaled them all down to the correct size, and got it so that the engines and thrusters scaled properly as well. Now that I have the biobomber, a need for information has become apparent. I used the descriptions on this site to scale the ships to the correct length, but some of the information is "classified". In addition, I need to know the lengths of stations, the speed and power of different weapons, etc. At the moment I am not sure where to find the information.

Übermodder to the rescue! :cheer:

You can find all the game files in resource.zip. For example, in resource.zip/sims/weapons, you will find the actual weapon projectile objects. These contain properties like speed damage. sims/ships/player/heavy_corvette would have the acceleration and top throttle values, and hitpoints and hardpoints and the paths to the .lws file that sets up the graphics for the ship. You can use the reverse-engineered .pso converter to convert the ship's model from .pso to .lwo, then open it in blender, and you have the untextured 3D model. You can simply measure then.

Also, subsims/systems/player has all the player systems, from A-M PBCs to LDS drives to countermeasures. To tell you what to expect there, the pbc file would have weapon fire rate, a path to the weapon sim (in this case ini:/sims/weapons/pbc_bolt or something like that), max energy, energy used per shot, heat per shot, power consumption, hit points, all kinds of good stuff.

Now for stations, which is what you actually asked about, that's a little different. They are entirely modular, so you'd be getting the dimensions of the various modules. But it's simple math to put them together, so it shouldn't be hard.

Yay, I actually rattled all this right off the top of my head! Seems I truly know a lot about the game from the many hours spent sifting through the files. :mrgreen:

Chessking wrote: Is anyone interested in screenshots of this?

Me. :whistle:

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #20234 by Chessking
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely use this in the future.

Screenshot incoming!

Storm Petrel
Attachments: