Converter won't output textures (anymore!)

More
18 years 5 months ago #18671 by Shane
Anyone ever run into problems with the Converter not outputting textures? I'd converted several objects earlier today with no problem. Now the converter will create the PSO file but not any textures associated with it.

I've double-checked the objects; everything there is fine. Also played around with all the converter's settings... still no luck.

Figured it might be my system, so I rebooted... twice. Then thought it might be something weird going on with Norton Security. Nope.

Finally downloaded a new version of the converter. Still does the same thing.

Anyone ever run into something like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14408 by Second Chance
Yes, 2 times.

The converter won't create new textures if it detects existing textures with the same name in it's internal history; i.e. it won't overwrite textures when re-creating a pso unless you quit the converter program and restart it. So if you make a pso with a texture called hull.iff and then make another different pso that also has a texture named hull.iff without quitting the converter, the new different pso model will have the other model's hull texture instead of it's own.

The converter also won't generate any textures if there is a map assigned to the reflection channel of any surface. I haven't quite worked out why yet.

Any help?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 5 months ago #14411 by cambragol
I think I noticed that once before. But then again, I never use the textures that the Converter generates.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14417 by Shane

Originally posted by Second Chance
The converter won't create new textures if it detects existing textures with the same name in it's internal history; i.e. it won't overwrite textures when re-creating a pso unless you quit the converter program and restart it. So if you make a pso with a texture called hull.iff and then make another different pso that also has a texture named hull.iff without quitting the converter, the new different pso model will have the other model's hull texture instead of it's own.

The converter also won't generate any textures if there is a map assigned to the reflection channel of any surface. I haven't quite worked out why yet.

What's interesting is the manner in which the Converter stores this history. Thinking something must have gone wrong with my copy of the converter, I downloaded the SDK again and then installed it on a second drive. When I open this new version of the Converter I see the same settings I left from the old one... not the default settings the converter should have. So how did it manage that? Registry values? :D

Changed every surface name in the models. Changed every texture name the models use. Changed the names of the models themselves. Placed everything in differently-named directories on different drives. Still the converter does not produce any textures.

Get this: I built a new model with new textures. No names which I'd ever used before. And the converter will not produce textures.

Originally posted by Cambragol
But then again, I never use the textures that the Converter generates.

Really? Could you please describe your process? I've now spent six hours fiddling with this converter and I'm running out of time.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14421 by Shane
I'd like to check this out; Would someone be willing to convert an object for me and see if textures are created? It's a small object (just 360kb).

It would really help me narrow down the problem: If the conversion does not work for someone else, then something has gone wrong with my LW. If it does work then something's gone wrong with the method my computer handles running the converter.

I've tested this object multiple times on my computer under different circumstances, but it will not output textures.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14422 by Second Chance
I'll give it a try.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos