nice job on the weapons

More
20 years 4 months ago #17873 by Sivadrake
i have to say, i really like what you've done with the weapons in this. however i couldnt get tge whole what rocks to work:(!, but i wanted to see what you had done with the weapons, so i took the weapons, images, sims, subsims, avatars, bla bla bla..... from your whatrocks mod and put them in their own zip, pasted the weapon names into my ships .ini, and ran it and it worked nicely:D, and you did all that with psp? great job man:)

"Faith lies in the ways of sin"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8245 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic nice job on the weapons
At the time we were doing what_rocksv2 there was a very gifted guy named "DukeOmsk" who did most of the art and .ini work on the weapons and ships. (I spent most of my time with the scripting work, balancing and play testing.)

Unfortunatly, since he didn't speak english he never frequented the forums here or in the ina much. DukeOmsk left the I-War community just before the release of what_rocksv2, and I haven't heard from him since.

You're welcome to use the weapons to mod your SP game but they will probably unbalance the game experience considerably, even if you give some of them to the AI. Thats why we decided not to create a SP mod with them (though we did once make a Instant Action mod with a destroyer).

The weapons were made specially for MP so we could give the different ships a more class based, roll specific charachter and they probably don't make much sense in SP, except for the eye candy. We spent months testing and balanced the weapons and the ships against each other specifically for the MP environment but not with the SP game in mind.

btw., did you try out the missiles too? they all have different trails, they have higher visibility and are also more transparent/translucent (smoke-like) than the originals. The idea was to give you a better way of distinguishing what type of missile was after you in the MP game. I didn't notice those effects as distinctly in the SP game when AI fired them at me, though, have you?.

I'll be happy to help you get the whole what_rocks running if you like. Don't worry You cannot mess up your SP game, or other mods, with it because all the files have a unique name thats not used in SP or in other mods.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #8266 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic nice job on the weapons
hello majortom, yeah i saw what you meant by unbalancing the gameplay for SP, but they were fun to look at :D, and yes i did try out all the missiles(in fact i think i tried everything that i could find:))i really liked the trail on the tornado, even though they were ALL better than the SP missiles, i too could never tell if there was any difference in the missiles the AI fired at me, or if they all just used a basic nonplayer missile, regardless its crappy. i havent tried to get whatrocks to run again since almost christmas(holidays have a way of eating any leisure time:(!)but now that life is settling back to routine i'm gonna see if maybe i was just making some stupid mistake, if i need some guidance i'll let you know.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8277 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Sivadrake

...i really liked the trail on the tornado, even though they were ALL better than the SP missiles, i too could never tell if there was any difference in the missiles the AI fired at me, ...

I think the SP game engine culls the grafic effects if the missiles (or other weapons) are fired from a distance greater than X from the player. ( I had some issues with that when scripting the Dogs of War intro movie). In the MP Game everyone is a "Player" so the MP engine effectivly doesn't cull those effects.

BTW Sivadrake, I noticed your interest in helping with mods. We'll be needing some new MP maps for the DOW Multiplayer games. Are you perhaps interested in that kind of work too?
There is a lot of trial and error in that and repeated testing to get the stuff in the right position on the 3 dimensional maps. Don't burden yourself with it unless you're really interested in doing it, though.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #8339 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic nice job on the weapons
majortom i'd love to help, however i need to study up on it first, any idea where i can get the geog sdk?

More
20 years 4 months ago #8349 by MajorTom
Actually there never was a 'real' Geography SDK.

Over in the ina we had a thread going on it but never got to finish it. :(!
There are a lot of references with bits of information here too (try the search function up at the top of the page).

You won't really need it for the simpler MP maps, but they will give you a good feeling for positioning objects in 3 dimensional space.

I'll fix up a mail for you sometimes tomorrow, with some introductory stuff. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly. :D

Have Gun, Will Travel