Another model I'm working on

More
20 years 2 months ago #17960 by Second Chance
Because I just can't get enough real Star Wars with my EoC. This will be a nice compliment to my Millennium Falcon model, which is almost finished. The falcon's got a nice set of nav lights now, and those little headlights on the front. Just needs some textures and little gun turrets.

This ship is going to be a little higher poly than usual. Since it's so big there are some details that I thought should be modeled in, to avoid looking too crappy.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8976 by MajorTom
What the heck, If someone is doing an Andromedia mod why not do a Star Wars destroyer?

I personally think it's a bit unrealistic because in I-War2 you don't have a real bridge or stations with functions you can jump to. Flying ships like the above or any of the I-War2 cruisers/destroyers just isn't realistic imo. As long as you have the standard HUD and controls there is no difference to being in the patcom or a storm petrel (except perhaps more inertial effects like in a freighter).

What I'd like to see: a "Star Wars" mod for MP. It would be fairly easy to make with, for example, few different TIE-Fighters together with A-Wings, X-wings (and Y-Wings?) for MP.
I think a collision hull/Thruster positioning setup simular to the "corporate interceptor" would be good for a Tie-Fighter. (That would give them quick turning capabilities but they would tend to stall out when turning)

If we just had some EOC-Compatible avatars I think we could even use the existing collision hulls for a lot of the ship types (while doing some tricky ini modding for the flight models).

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8978 by Second Chance
I agree Major Tom. I didn't intend this ship to be player flyable. Really, what's the point? For me, it's just that I love the Star Wars ships so much that I love to model them, for whatever reason.

I too think a Star Wars mod would be neat. If anybody starts one I volunteer to make ship models.

Here are some shots of the new guns on my Falcon model.

The guns aren't attatched to the ship, I just put them there so you can see what they look like actually on the ship. They're seperate turret avatars that will rotate and everything. This way I can reuse the guns on other ships. In case you're wondering how they move; they're currently in the stowed position (they stow at +90 deg), when active they'll move to the 0 deg position (pointing straight out). You see, they're actually mounted sideways. To see what I mean, imagine the ship standing up on it's tail with the guns pointing straight out from the top or bottom of the ship. That's the normal firing position (just like in the movies [8D]). Then they can rotate up/down about 85 deg and side to side about 90 deg. That's actually a pretty good firing arc. With a top and bottom gun you get almost complete coverage.

btw - These two ships are EoC avatars.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8980 by MajorTom

I too think a Star Wars mod would be neat. If anybody starts one I volunteer to make ship models.

Since I've already done some work on this, I'll have a beta version within a week if you give me say 4 EOC compatible avatars.

How about your Falcon, and a X-Wing (or A-Wing) and two TIE models for a start.

I will set up the ship inis and weapons as Star Wars-like as possible and get them in the game. That will include bot support with them flying the same ship types.

Note:
I am talking about a multiplayer game and not the SP game.
We'll have to use the EOC-type shields for the time being.
I'll also try to make a map with more Star-Wars like background colors and "furniture" but for now we'll have to use the EOC station models (until someone wants to model a Star Wars-like station)

For a start, as soon as your falcon is EOC compatible send me a copy and I'll fix you up with a multiplayer version you can fly within a couple of days. (so we can be sure your models will work in the MP game)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8981 by Second Chance
Sounds great :). I can give you the models but you might want to get someone else to do the new textures, just for the sake of expediency. I haven't completely worked out the ins and outs of LW 5 surfacing yet and all of my meshes need to be remapped in that format, and have new texture maps made (the original ones won't work, they're intended for UV coordinates [xx(]). But I'll do that too if you can wait.

I'll start with the Tie Fighters. They look easy to do and I can reuse the hull with different wings to make several models.

I've just been experimenting with my Falcon model so let me remake the PSO's and I'll send you the avatar and setup files, and a collision hull.

I'm not sure I understand the point about MP. Is there a reason why models that work in SP won't work in MP?

Any texture mapping masters out there care to whip up some textures while I work on the new models?

More
20 years 2 months ago #8982 by MajorTom

I'm not sure I understand the point about MP. Is there a reason why models that work in SP won't work in MP?

The only reason I'm a bit wary is because I haven't got Shanes Spiff to work in MP yet. It could be a size issue and the star wars ships are a lot smaller than the usual EOC ships. Otherwise, I've not had any problems in the MP game with any ship that flys in EOC.

The main point about MP is it would be too much work (imo) to rebuild the whole EOC universe to a Star Wars mod for SP. So I would only concentrate on a MP Mod

I think it would be cool to use the EOC Multiplayer engine for a couple of miltiplayer scenarios (game scripts) with Star Wars ships. Maybe we'll get some new inspiration (and fans) by doing so. There haven't been any half way decent star wars first person, space sim games since X-Wing Alliance as far as I know.

Have Gun, Will Travel