I wanna mod this game!

More
20 years 1 month ago #18013 by sd100ac
Just went out and bought Edge of Chaos the other day, cause I heard its moddable and uses LW format. Got a few questions though.

Are there any Star Trek mods out there? Thats really what I'm into, and thats what I plan on making.

And what are the point/poly requirements for EoC? I'm coming from a game called Klingon Academy, that wanted around 1200 points on a model.

And does the game need UV mapped textures, or does normal buncha-separate textures w/ planar mapping work?

Thanks,
sd100ac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9486 by They_HunGer
Replied by They_HunGer on topic I wanna mod this game!
There's a starwars mod that they are making recently... and there's a mod tool in the downloads section.

There's only One oF us GetTing out HeRe aNd it w0nt be mE

~C.C. Rocks~

More
20 years 1 month ago #9495 by Second Chance
I came from Klingon Academy too. It's a whole different world modding for EoC. Much easier, I think. No uv mapping though, everything's seperate surfaces with planar or cylindrical maps. Try to stick to below 800 polys when possible. Head on over to the modeling section of the forums and you can see the Star Wars models I did for the MP mod. It will give you a good idea of what you can do with flux.

Are there any Star Trek mods out there? Thats really what I'm into, and thats what I plan on making.

No.

Here's my two cents...

Usually, the Star Trek mods are the first kind I go for. Especially when you're talking about large ships. But honestly, EoC is not the best platform for Star Trek mods. The flight model is contradictory to Trek style and the equipment has poor compatability. You'll have to do massive scripting just to get flux to behave like a Trek game, on top of all the modeling and equipment INI redesign. If doing a Trek mod is the priority, I'd suggest a platform like StarShatter. It's much more conducive to Trek style mods. But if the type of mod isn't important, then EoC has a pretty robust set of moddable features.

I myself had considered doing an EoC Trek mod many times, but I'm continually disuaded by all the monumental obstacles to overcome (such as the fact that beam weapons can't track, they can only fire straight out from their point of origin). EoC is also designed from the viewpoint of flying from a cockpit, not commanding from a bridge. Which, personally, I think is rediculous considering the size of the ships.

I'm not saying a Trek mod isn't possible, just really difficult. If you've got some modding skills you should consider hooking up with one of the modding groups before tackling such a herculean mod for EoC as Star Trek.

However, if a Trek mod does get started, I want in! (Unless it's TNG stuff, I'm not really into that.[xx(])

Lol, I loved Klingon Academy as much as I hated it. They came so close to getting it right that time. If only the KA gameplay was more moddable, I'd probably still be there.

Anyhoo, come on over to the mod forums and have a chat.

*edit*
Thanks to They_Hunger for plugging the Star Wars mod for us, it's appreciated. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 month ago #9502 by sd100ac
Replied by sd100ac on topic I wanna mod this game!
Oh, I wondered about the beam weapons. Small difficulty, most ships I'm looking at use pulse weapons anyways.

I wanna put in mostly smaller ships: Defiant, Venture (Scout), Peregrine. All TNG tho... But hey, TMP ships have PULSE phasers! I know where to get some great TMP models. Need permission to convert them, but thats not hard. I just gatta learn this stuff.

800 polys? oh, too bad, I'll have to see how bad the game chokes on my stuff, lol.

Heck, I'd go for a Star Trek mod for this, but I just gatta learn a little more about it first.

sd100ac

More
20 years 1 month ago #9503 by Second Chance
Best of luck. :) I look forward to seeing what you do (even TNG stuff). You'll find the EoC Developement Section of the forums indispensible for something like this, and I'm sure everyone will want to help get you going. Remember to keep us posted so we can see how it's coming. Oh, and don't worry too much about the poly limits, my models routinely go over 800 polys. But less is better.

It will be good to have another Lightwave user in the forums.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 3 months ago #12228 by BlasterMaster555
Hello, just to let you know I am interested in Star Trek mods for EoC as well. I might recommend using models from Starfleet Command III, which has several mods that include ships from TOS up to TNG eras, and are not too high poly (they use great bump mapping).

I tried adding Trek sounds to the game, and I have met with success. I got the Quad Light PBC to sound like a Pulse Phaser, the Light and normal PBCs to sound like Disruptors, the way cool TNG torpedo launch sound (it's way cooler than the origional), and to end it, I got the warp drive in/out sounds. The warp drive sounds are a little off if it engages early, but it's close. BTW I borrowed the sounds from Armada: II and Starfleet Command III. Next, I'm gonna figure out how to change the beam weapon sounds to phaser sounds.

All power to the engines!!!

All power to the engines!!!