Epic Status (large pictures)

More
19 years 11 months ago #18053 by GrandpaTrout

Even a test release is still some time off. But here are some pictures to show off a few of the current features. This asteroid sunset shows off one of the environmental effects, a dense field generator. Any kind of object can be used. Or a wide mix of objects, ships, debris, what ever you like.

Here is a LOR platform arriving on the construction site of a new station. Station construction and destruction features strongly.
www.i-war2.com/epic/images/LOR.jpg

Pirates and Spies don't build stations as much as they build hidden operations. Here is one such operation. They are hidden inside the habitat modules that surround stations. A player must dock with the module and search for them. The Operations can be Black markets, Embezzling rings, or hacking tools developers. Destroying these operations are the key to victory in the Mafia wars. Care must be taken to avoid provoking the anger of the station owners.
www.i-war2.com/epic/images/Operation.jpg

Here is a command tower (at a rather odd angle) showing off the new modular station code. By targeting this command tower, you can attempt to kill the faction leadership. One method of completing an assassination mission.
www.i-war2.com/epic/images/ms_command.jpg

Here my ship targets the stations modular reactor. Distroying the reactor disables the stations production. A common tactic in Corporation Wars that rage across unpoliced backwaters.

www.i-war2.com/epic/images/ms_firing.jpg

Here is the modular reactor breaking away from the station as it is destroyed. For test purposes, the station was destroyed shortly afterwards. Because this "Palace" is the center of government for this system, the remaining government stations fell into collapse.
www.i-war2.com/epic/images/ms_breakingup.jpg

Here is a police station, abandond after the government collapse. Notice the targeted supplies container. When stations are abandond, they sometimes leave items behind that scavengers can collect. The stations can be captured by other factions and put back into operation. This is how rebels gain control of star systems and form new governments.
www.i-war2.com/epic/images/abandond_supplies.jpg

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9794 by Runner
Replied by Runner on topic Epic Status (large pictures)
Wow! Very nice, that all. All those feaures you named sound very nice, but also very ambitious. Once more I fear that whenever that whole thing becomes available for playing, iwar won't even run on those new 128 bit processors... :/

Yeah by the way, should u need playtesters, I'd volunteer. ;-)

More
19 years 11 months ago #9796 by GrandpaTrout
76 FPS in that shot. Up to 124 fps on my machine. Flux is well coded. It seems to allocate limited time to the scripting engine. So there is a minimal level of disturbance from player point of view. But the scripts begin to get unresponsive if too much is going on.

The worst problem by far is loading a new ship. That can hang the game for several seconds. Unless you preload. So ram will be the big factor for Epic. I recommend a gig :D

Right now the most annoying thing is loading a new game. It takes a few minuits to load up all the ships and nebula textures. All the station models. And all the star systems. Anyone want to write a DX1 texture compressor???..... No?

My suggested work around is not to die.... :p

-Gtrout

More
19 years 11 months ago #9998 by dertien
Hello GP,

Remember the guy who brought up the idea of the IFF ? well sorry bout being away so long. Back on the forum, and I see the nice progress of epic.

If you need beta testers dont forget to let me know.

peace out

XIII

Gute Leute muss man haben, Gute Leute !

More
19 years 10 months ago #10203 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Remeber me? I am the guy who occasionally makes badly spelt corrects. Well, for EPIC dogs of war not only have i still got those images from a while back (for the splash screen etc) but i *also* have been pain-stackingly going though the ELite mod...and changing just about everything. As a result i have added all sorts of dynamic systems of combat and tactics, and added to the depth of the game imensly. I have also made everything far more realistic and on the whole used the Elite mod (and a couple of other things) to turn EOC into the game it should of been.

However, some of the things i have done might make it incompatible with some of the functions of Epic DOW.

I use msn messengger so please please feel free to add me and discuss what i have done. My ' the way IW2 should of been mod ' is about 67% completed.

My msn addy is hempmonkeyjwk[AT]hotmail.com

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 10 months ago #10214 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Jwk, your mod sounds quite interesting. I am sending an email now. But post a little more about it, for general discussion. What direction did you take the INI files - faster ships / slower? More hit points / less? More weapons, less weapons? Higher damage rate / lower?

How about subsim damage?

-Gtrout