Planetary Populations (in new clusters?)

More
19 years 7 months ago #18224 by Shane
I noticed the old geography toolset (Data Converter.doc) included an entry in the planetary bodies for population... but this is not in the new toolset.

Does this mean planets cannot have populations?

Whhile I'm on the subject: I'd like to thank the 'Geology Crew' (especially GrandpaTrout) for all the hard work they've put into deciphering cluster creation. Everytime I work with this stuff I'm amazed at the determination and know-how this group has. No way I'd have ever figured it out...

Anyway, thanks!

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11514 by GrandpaTrout
I think the old code was in error. I think it just threw the value away. Only habitats support the population check from POG, so there is no way to get that data out anyway.

(and that turns out to be the reason I had to model planetary facilities with matching orbital ones. Perhaps a different model could be used. Like a LOR vehicle to pick up pods shot up from the surface or something.)

-Gtrout

More
19 years 7 months ago #11515 by Shane
Thanks GrandpaTrout.

I'm looking into converting and storing the planetary texture maps as Lightwave preset surfaces. If successful, it would be fairly easy to understand how the textures are being blended (or layered, which is most likely the case), and to create snapshots of what they would probably look like in the game.

I'll post the stuff when I get it done.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 7 months ago #11516 by GrandpaTrout
oh sweet! That might even make doing a GUI tool for geography (simplified) worth doing.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 7 months ago #11517 by Shane

Originally posted by GrandpaTrout
That might even make doing a GUI tool for geography (simplified) worth doing.

Are you propositioning me, sir? :p:D:D

Conversion of the textures goes pretty smoothly (though how I wish the FTU2PCX converter had a batch command!).

I'll see what I can do. :)

[Edit] Well, what do you know? It does have a batch command. That's nice... :D