LSDI field speed

More
20 years 2 months ago #17962 by FlamingBallOFire
I have a question regarding speed in any LSDI field. I'm still in Act 1, practicing my rogue pirate skills. In some LSDI fields, I can accelerate to 250m/s, but in others I am limited to 125m/s. Why the difference? And why when I use flight assist does my ship accelerate without any imput from me? If I turn off flight assist, its fine. Does IWAR 2 simulate gravity fields as well?

FBoF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8996 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic LSDI field speed
As far as I can tell, Iwar2 has no gravity.

Anyway, flight assist attempts to make your ship behave as it would in a non-newtonian sim (X-wing, wing commander, etc) by accelerating you as needed to make your vector and velocity match your heading and throttle setting. So if you turn on flight assist, it will attempt to stop your ship or match the throttle. It works quite well at low speed, but at higher speed your turning circle can be several kilimeters in radius. With assist off your ship will do exactly what you tell it when you tell it.

LDSi fields do not limit your newtonian speed at all, but they tend to coincide with traffic control areas which prohibit your autopilot from going above 250m/s. I've never noticed a field which limited me to 125m/s but I dont use autopilots much. Thrust overrides ignore this limit and with flight assist off it wont affect you at all. (Hitting a station or freighter at more than 3km/s will though. Caution is advised.)

More
20 years 2 months ago #8997 by FlamingBallOFire
Replied by FlamingBallOFire on topic LSDI field speed
Ah, but that is the problem. In thrust override (W) I get locked into either 250 or 125 m/s. The flight assist problem is this: if i turn off FA and use thrusters to come to a dead stop, that's cool. As soon as I hit FA (N I believe), my ship accelerates to somewhere around 100m/s. The only way I can slow or stop is to hit (S). As soon as I release the (S) key, off I go again. It doesn't do it in deep space, only in LSDI fields.

FBoF

More
20 years 2 months ago #8999 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic LSDI field speed
When you turn flight assist on/off what is your Throttle setting?

if you have a joystick it could be the throttle calibration ?

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #9014 by FlamingBallOFire
Replied by FlamingBallOFire on topic LSDI field speed
I've experimented with altering the joystick throttle setting, even though it's not mapped as an active function (throttle on joystick). No effect.

FBoF

More
20 years 2 months ago #9015 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic LSDI field speed
Try using the keyboard only configuration. Joysticks can do weird things at times.