GrandpaTrout - about your geog sdk docs

More
20 years 3 months ago #17915 by Second Chance
I noticed that under the star info you gave some examples from EoC. What is the luminosity measurement for and where did the information come from (since it's not used in the map files)? I noticed that only a few of the listed stars have this measurement, did you get it from the map lightwave files? I'm going to have my EoC Map Maker automatically write lightwave files to go with the map files it creates, so this info would be helpful. Thanks.

btw - did anyone ever get a nebula working? Is there a size limit for them?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net

cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8535 by GrandpaTrout

Name Star Color Luminosity
Batatas M0_V
Coyote G8_V 6 0.6
Dagda M0_V
Dante I F3_V 1 5.0
Dante II K7_V 10
Drake K4_V
Eureka G1_V 3 1.2
Firefrost I G0_I 1 6000
Firefrost II K1_V 8 0.4
Firefrost III M0_V 11
Formhault A3_V 16
Hoffer’s Wake Alpha M0_V 11
Hoffer’s Wake Beta F5_V 2 3.5
Ishme M7_V
Kompira K0_V
Mwari I F5_V 2
Mwari II G0_V 4
New Bavaria M7_V
Osprey K4_V
Owen’s Star M9_V
Santa Romera G5_V 5

This is the section? (just to be sure we are talking about the same thing).

Steve wrote a post that listed the star types intended for each star system (long ago on the INA board). I went through and matched those up against the map files Star Color number. The luminosity numbers are not used by Flux at all, but are there for reference (taken from one of a dozen astronomy books on my shelf - I don't remember which, they will all have the same data). As far as I know, this only controls the model at the center of the system. (once the code was working, it stopped being a code problem and started being an art problem, so I went on to other code problems).

I have never placed a nebula using the map files. The middle states does not use them. One thing we have never figured out is how the map file specifies which nebula file to use. See, size and color is normally controlled from a nebula file. If you learn anything, post back.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 3 months ago #8536 by Second Chance
Ok cool, thanks. I have a suspicion about the nebula, let me check it out and I'll let you know.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8537 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
It would be so cool to move though this giant nebula that shifts and changes colour from sectino to section. you know, one sectin you are in a red bit, and then it slowly changes to green.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
20 years 3 months ago #8538 by Shane
From what I've seen, there's some type of intensity multiplier for lights in EoC. Settings which (in LW) create a flashlight show as a nuclear blast in EoC.

For instance, I placed a helmet light on the Spaceman Spiff model. I set the light's intensity to 20% and the flare to 10%(which, in a LW render, would be about right). When the object is translated into EoC, the light is a huge bright sphere (looked like a star from 20 km away) which completely hides the model.

I've played about with other lights and it seems any light translated into EoC has it's flare intensity multiplied by a factor of 100. (However, that's just a ballpark figure.)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 months ago #8560 by Second Chance

It would be so cool to move though this giant nebula that shifts and changes colour from sectino to section.

Yes, that would be neat.

Shane, do you have a fairly good grasp of the organization of the lw lighting files for maps?