Source Code

More
19 years 3 months ago #18347 by Hendar23
Source Code was created by Hendar23
I was thinking of dabbling in I-War 2 modding, and I've heard that not all the scripts for IW2 were released with the SDK. I was thinking that as Particle Systems are no more and IW2 seems unavailible to buy anymore (to my knowledge) then why not release them? Or just the whole source code while they're at it? Let us REALLY play around with the very impressive Flux engine?

Or am I talking shite?

There is no enemy. Anywhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12284 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Source Code
I wish it was possible. The basic problem is that no one company owns the rights. And now the only company with the actual source has disbanded. I expect the right person in the right place could purchase the source for the scrap value of the backup tapes at this point. But realistically, I would assume the source is lost for all intents and purposes.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 3 months ago #12286 by Hendar23
Replied by Hendar23 on topic Source Code
We should try to contact the devlopers personally, no? Before it's lost forever! It's terribly sad when source code for great games goes into the digital black hole of no return.

Are they not making Bionicle games? How the mighty have fallen...

More
19 years 3 months ago #12287 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Source Code
We do talk to the developers on a regular basis. Stephen Robertson, the series co-designer, is a regular participant in the forum chats. And has been instrumental in helping us gain a deeper understanding of how the I-War series software works. But there's nothing they can do about the code, since none of them work for Particle Systems anymore. There is, however, an ongoing effort to track down the current correct holders of the rights to the code. This is something that's been going on for years. It's difficult to determine who actually holds the rights to the code right now because Particle Systems is in liquidation. And to complicate matters further; even though there will probably never be another I-War game, Atari owns the rights to the franchise (I believe). So they might have something to say about a source code release also (and I'm sure it won't be good things).

Read these for a much better understanding of what's going on:
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1759
ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403310

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 3 months ago #12292 by Hendar23
Replied by Hendar23 on topic Source Code
We could try asking Atari nicely. Miracles do happen. Even money-grabbing ignorant corpirate scum have a nice side...If we point out that there is no more money to be made in it.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12294 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Source Code
It is not about scum. It is about getting legal release from a very large company with legal departments scattered all over the planet. And then the fact that the license is owned by several companies. The only company with source appears to have released all employees and closed its doors.

I guess if I was going to look for a miracle it would be that one of the freeware engine efforts put out a good quality product.

-Gtrout