New New Planets!

More
18 years 11 months ago #18452 by cambragol
New New Planets! was created by cambragol
Okay, I couldn't resist posting these pictures up. I have found a way to place objects of any size, viewable from any distance in the game. No more clipping problem. So I built some new planets with full spectral and nightside effects, something impossible previously. The golden age of EOC modding is just beginning!

Check them out below:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #13068 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic New New Planets!
Now that is rather cool!

More
18 years 11 months ago #13069 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic New New Planets!
Yeah, very cool! Just look at those nightside lights. Something we have wanted forever. And now the planet will not spin under the beanstalks. The prior planet objects must have had a special switch that prevented the clipping effect from taking them.

Say "Hello" to landable moons....

More
18 years 11 months ago #13070 by Cougaris
Replied by Cougaris on topic New New Planets!
Impressive. Most impressive.

Also: Landable moons?

More
18 years 11 months ago #13071 by mdvalley
Replied by mdvalley on topic New New Planets!
Can you make stars? It’d be nice to break out of the 100,000k size clamp on them. Red supergiants, here we come! I did quite a bit of research on how stars should show up in EoC (Akra, for example, is just over 8 million kilometers in radius). I’d be happy to share.

More
18 years 11 months ago #13072 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic New New Planets!
Oh yes, I can do stars. Never thought of doing that thus far, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also be possible. However, the drawbacks might offset any benefits. How much different would a star look, whether it is 8 million km in diameter, or 100 000? The same effect could be achieved by simply adjusting the range of the sun to the nearest planets/stations. Then again, given the right textures, it might look quite impressive. Maybe I will test that out.

And Cougaris, yes, landable moons, and planets if you wanted. The planet in the image above is landable, and dockable. I can fly down to it and dock, but it is not practical right now. (And actually, in that configuration I would burn up on entry)
Areas around a landing zone would need to be created and attached to the planet model to avoid extreme pixel stretching around the dock. Moons easier because I can utilize existing asteroid stations and wallpaper the texture, keeping the dock area realtively free of pixel stretching. I actually built one already. I will build a whole bunch of them for Traffic.