My feelings on the Star Wars mod.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9876 by Shane
The trench (minor and major) polys wouldn't be the same and the surfaces would still have to be in order (for the textures). Besides, I'm already in the texturing phase.

And the DS is not a true sphere... it's 'squished' on the y-axis.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9877 by Second Chance

And the DS is not a true sphere... it's 'squished' on the y-axis.

???????????

Is this a modeling decision, or a Death Star factoid I should know already (but embarrassingly don't)?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #9880 by Shane
Every single model or image I find shows the DS with a marginally shorter diameter on the Y-axis than the X- or Z-. Look at the ILM pic of the worker next to the DS that I posted before (on page 3 of this thread). The model is 'squished down' (not the most accurate term, but it works). And it does not seem to be a trick of perspective.

I noted this on every reference pic, so I incorporated it into my model.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 11 months ago #9881 by Second Chance
Wow! Good eye.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #9884 by Shane

Wow! Good eye.

Thanks.

It seems to be easily missed. A gentleman at Starship Modeler built a (real) model of the DS, but his is completely round. The LW 6.5 model on the internet is also completely spherical. Even that site that compares starship sizes shows a round design.

But the ILM photo and screen grabs sealed it. :D

I have to admit some curiosity as to why it was designed that way. My best guess is that it added some interest and made the DS a little more 'massive' and threatening.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9886 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Shane
I have to admit some curiosity as to why it was designed that way. My best guess is that it added some interest and made the DS a little more 'massive' and threatening.

I think you're right! A big basketball floating in space wouldn't be really intimidating ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site