Max - Lightwave - Maya

More
20 years 1 week ago #18043 by Xanix
Max - Lightwave - Maya was created by Xanix
This may sound as a strange question but, wat's the best aplication to chose for a beginer?
I've some information about all the products but I just can't see wat's the most friendly for beginers on 3d modeling.
I don't have a lot of time right now but, I wanted to start on lerning how to model. I'm going to invest some of my free time on it and I want to know the program that's best suitabale for me. The most fast to learn, the most intuitive and friendly for brginers.

Thank's

Xanix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9735 by Second Chance
If you're planning on learning to model for EoC it's best to not worry about what the most friendly program is and just jump straight into lightwave, since that's what you'll end up using anyway. I, personally, have been using 3ds Max for about six years, and it's still what I make all my models in. But in order to get the models into EoC, I have to export them to 3ds and import them into lightwave in order to texture and tweak them. And for me, it's one nightmare of a pain in the ass. Lightwave is as different from Max as is physically possible, so to have to learn lightwave after six years as a Max user was not fun. Originally, I thought lightwave was a crappy, user-unfriendly program. Then I slowly began to realize that it wasn't the program that was the problem, it was me. I was so used to the windows style of 3ds Max, that my stubborn brain just didn't want to accept the way lightwave did things. Turns out, lightwave is a great product. For ease of surfacing and texturing it's actually superior to Max, but I'm not willing to abandon all my Max training and go full on into lightwave. So, to make a long story even longer, I would just start out with lightwave. In the long run you'll probably be better off. Hope that helps your decision. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 week ago #9788 by Xanix
Replied by Xanix on topic Max - Lightwave - Maya
Hello again.

I've now om my pc, 3ds max 6 installed. I've bought a book to help on lerning how to work wit it.
Already started making a space ship model using the "box" metod. I'm starting on learning on using Texporter also. Great utiliy!

Well, I want to ask a favor on this post. Can anyone that works wit max make or post a link to a really good tutorial on making space ship models. I've already download some tutorials on the net but, they're in some way simple or just confusing. I need a good one. From starting placing the blueprints to making the textures.
I think a good thing on i-war2 mod could be tutorials to help ppl learning how to make models.

Thank's in advance

Xanix

More
20 years 1 week ago #9790 by Second Chance
I'll poke around in my bookmarks and see if there's any good spaceship tutorials handy. I know there are a few good ones in there.

I'm starting on learning on using Texporter also. Great utiliy!

I agree, it's a fantastic plugin. But if you're modeling for EoC it will be useless. Models must be textured in Lightwave. They also must end up as Lightwave 5 models in order to be used in EoC. It stinks, I know. But that's the way it is. [8]

You can model the meshes in just about any program, as long as you can export them to .3ds. They can then be imported to Lightwave for texturing and LOD work.

I'll be back in a few minutes with some good tutorial links.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
20 years 1 week ago #9791 by Second Chance
Ok, here's a few places to learn some spaceship modeling:

www.scifi-meshes.com
(go to the tutorials section)

www.3dcafe.com
(a staple of the 3D community [8D] - go to the "free stuff" section)

wolf359a.anet-stl.com/how.html
(Wolf359's tutorials are rather lacking, but this "how to" is helpful to understand the basics of modeling existing ships)

Unfortunately, spaceship modeling is usually buried in with other tutorials, so this was all I could find just flipping through my bookmarks. Here's my short list of Max tutorial sites, check them out and you're bound to find something helpful.
americanodysseymagazine.com/johnspics/maxlinks.htm

More
20 years 6 days ago #9798 by Xanix
Replied by Xanix on topic Max - Lightwave - Maya

Originally posted by Second Chance

Ok, here's a few places to learn some spaceship modeling:

www.scifi-meshes.com
(go to the tutorials section)

www.3dcafe.com
(a staple of the 3D community [8D] - go to the "free stuff" section)

wolf359a.anet-stl.com/how.html
(Wolf359's tutorials are rather lacking, but this "how to" is helpful to understand the basics of modeling existing ships)

Unfortunately, spaceship modeling is usually buried in with other tutorials, so this was all I could find just flipping through my bookmarks. Here's my short list of Max tutorial sites, check them out and you're bound to find something helpful.
americanodysseymagazine.com/johnspics/maxlinks.htm

I'll look all the links!

Once again, thank's

Xanix