I WAR MOD for Freelancer

More
18 years 10 months ago #18477 by aramis_kane
Hello all, i am looking for people who would be interested in making a mod for the game known as freelancer, a game not as good as I War due to unrealisum, but none the less is quite enjoyable, i am looking for people to help render or create the models of the dreadnaught class corvette patcom and gunstar from the original I WAR, and any other ships there willing to make such as the corveete from the 2nd i war game.

i have found a site of someone who has already done the corrvette from i war 1, but unfortunitly his site has not been updated since 2002, so any assistance or comments of what aspects of i war u found pleasing please get in touch.

currently the mod i am intending these ships to be used in have a few bablon 5 ships in it, and so if anyones interested in doing a omega or warlock destroyer to add to the mod it will be surly appreicate and "u will get the credit" :) anyhoos, i am building a site currently so when i get it up i will post the link and u can see the progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13299 by AcesHigh
Replied by AcesHigh on topic I WAR MOD for Freelancer
Freelancer sucked. The planets are literally just a few kilometers wide!! I would really love a PRIVATEER game with IW2 graphics and realism...

More
18 years 10 months ago #13301 by Second Chance
Hi aramis. How about some more info on the mod and what it hopes to accomplish? Nobody is going to want to dedicate what is going to be a seriously large amount of work to a mod that has no real plan. For instance; you say it's an I-War mod for Freelancer, but you also say there are B5 ships in it. That's not really an I-War mod for Freelancer. Not that a mixed universe is a bad thing, but you're going to need to lay out some more specific details before anyone is going to want to join any kind of a mod team.

For that matter, are you even forming a mod team? It sounds like what you're actually asking is for people to make the models you want and then just give them to you. You're very unlikely to find volunteers for that kind of thing.

Freelancer seems like it has a much more active mod community than I-War (especially when it comes to models), have you asked around their forums? It would be much easier for a modeler who makes Freelancer models to duplicate I-War ships that will work in Freelancer, than it would be for an I-War modeler used to making ships that work in I-War. Either way, good luck with your mod. And don't forget to post a link to your mod site over in the atari I-War forums. They're much more interested in non I-War game types over there.
ina-community.com/forums/forumdi ... orumid=137

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
18 years 10 months ago #13303 by aramis_kane
well, i am doing the site to give the details down, diffrent percentages of the work has actually already been done, in fact i war models etc done in various 3d modelling programs allready exist, just seem to be no longer online,

well in my understanding or opinon many ships for the earth force from babalon 5 universe and those from the cnv from i war have a similar style witch i wish to convey into the freelancer mod, it is a mixed universe game, in form but not overly done, trying to bring more realisum to the freelancer game, mainly coz using freelancer as the basis off a large online server, opens up a lot more doors that any other online space fighter game,

for many diffrent reasons, one "large commuity", easy of modding, and options are extensive.

the idea came while playing a 3 diffrent mod servers of freelancer, some had too much of everything so the point of strategy became well Pointless,

One of the mods held a lot of promise it combined various ships from certain tv shows etc, some seemed to go perfect some did.

so i am trying to find people who would be interested in it, some people who can give a little help, and more than anything, if u have files from years ago such as 3d models of the ships of i war "that are no longer online" please send them over, art or diagrams anything that can go.

currently the site is taking a while, coz i am doing 14 websites for people and its a lot of work, so i know it looks like a post saying help me give me free stuff, but really its not i just wanted to see if this forum was still alive and if i could spark a reaction for those interested

and to answer the guy who does not like freelancer, yes the ships look lame hence the mod, and yes the planets seem to lose a bit of realisum, but there are a semi realistic size, just the whole distance measurment of the game is not sound logic, as it seems to be based on trying to maintain a some sort of 2d boundary to make it easyier to newbees, witch i too find annoying hence the mod, to try and get some more realisum poured back in.

if u want to know more details then email myself, with specifics, and i will answer them to the best of my ability.

currently i am trying to see what the modding limits are for the game

but seriously if anyone has any files, pictures art conceptial drawings even the cnv logo, it would be handy, coz all i got is my own notes on the aspects i want to infuse into freelancer and what i can and cant do and how to overcome it, for example i just figured out how to get realistic gunstars in freelancer

More
18 years 10 months ago #13304 by Second Chance
If I'm not mistaken, all the original I-War models were in Lightwave format. If you've got, or can get, a copy of the original game, I think you'll have everything you need. If the Freelancer model converter can't use Lightwave models (does it even use a converter?), you'll have to convert them to something else and retexture them first. But it's better than nothing.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
18 years 10 months ago #13306 by aramis_kane
yep i believe ur right, only prob is my nephew "decided to put a drill bit thru my i war case and all 3 cds"

and since that my oh so wise mother "[V]" decided to throw the manuel and original box out.

so when i say i have nothing i literally mean it, its difficult to buy a copy of i war in scotland, I War 2 is not as hard but i am more interested in the ones from the orignal, as i think the design is more suited and also my preference.

and if someone says there also in that game "dont hit me but i havent played i war 2 only looked at it"

if there in light wave i can defintly use them and be able to get to work on it quite easily, the following website is someones elses work i was hoping to obtain,but he stopped work on the site in 2002

home.wanadoo.nl/chronoworx/meshes.html
home.wanadoo.nl/chronoworx/wip/dn/wip.html

which to me would have beeen a huge help, but right now i cant find much decent i war artwork so if anyone has anything just mail it to me or scream YO