Other (?) info stored in surface names.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14344 by GrandpaTrout
The empty brackets are a feature that Flux can access, but POG cannot. The empty brackets auto-number. I don't have the files handy, but I believe you can also find this pattern in planets.ini and clusters.ini.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14348 by Shane

The empty brackets are a feature that Flux can access, but POG cannot. The empty brackets auto-number. I don't have the files handy, but I believe you can also find this pattern in planets.ini and clusters.ini.

I seem to recall seeing that in the Introduction to POG section of the SDK.

Most of the stuff with channels (the engine animations for one) is done in .lws files.

You're quite right. My mistake there... only specialized surface attributes should be 'tagged for Flux' in the PSO files.

I've got some stuff to test tonight (mostly dealing with how specularity maps are handled) and will report my findings. Jasper's converter should make it possible to finally (and definatively) determine just what and how Flux utilizes LW maps.

Cheers. :)

More
18 years 5 months ago #14349 by Second Chance

. . .but I believe you can also find this pattern in planets.ini and clusters.ini

Aha! I knew I'd seen this before. Well that explains it. Not so weird after all, I guess.

I seem to recall seeing that in the Introduction to POG section of the SDK.

It's in the INI FIle section of Developing Scripts. Thanks for the reminder. Since the SW mod I haven't looked in the Pog SDK in a long time.

I was thinking. It's too bad you don't still have that old test ball object, Shane. Jasper probably would have loved converting that pso. Maybe you could point to your old thread. There might be some useful info for him in there.

*edit*
Hey! Here's an idea. Somebody convert a planet pso back to LW and find out what surface names the planets use.

In case you didn't already know Jasper, planets and moons in EoC are procedurally textured by flux in-game by mixing specific grayscale maps and setting RGB colors.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 5 months ago #14350 by Shane
Well, I'd just built a new one but am unable to access the damn thing. :(!

Essentially this is the Cube2 item I'd sent to Jasper. It features six color maps (1/side) and one specularity map and one glow map. I resized it (and the textures) to 60m to make it more visible in-game. I'd planned to:

1.) Check the cube object in-game to make sure the specularity textures translated okay. I need proof positive that specularity textures are handled by Flux... this is needed for the conversion of a model for Epic.

2.) Open the LBM textures generated by the PS converter and see how it split up the spec and color maps.

3.) Reconvert the PSO back to LWO and see what changes have occured to the surfaces.

However, I can do none of these things because a.) I've become so rusty at putting objects into the game that I've missed a step somewhere and cannot get the damn thing to work. And b.) attempts to convert the LBM textures to PCX have all failed. R2D2's converter doesn't give out much information in the area of trouble-shooting either.

So, right now I'm just fuming and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb to find where I've made my errors.

Grrrr.... :(! Bad day...

More
18 years 5 months ago #14351 by Shane
I've gone through other objects I've created in the past. Here's what I've found:

Some time ago, to try Cambragol's high-poly planet trick, I built a sphere which featured specularity and glow maps. I cannot remember how well the specularity worked, but assume it did or I would have noted it. The luminence maps I know worked.

I took this PSO and converted it back to LWO (using pso2lwo2). When converted back to LWO format the color maps were still there, but the specularity and glow map textures had disappeared.

I've converted a number of EoC PSO's, but no map information other than color appears. Has anyone seen a similar result?

@Jasper: Am I jumping the gun? :D Does the converter yet handle maps other than color?

More
18 years 5 months ago #14352 by Jasper

Originally posted by Shane

I've gone through other objects I've created in the past. Here's what I've found:

Some time ago, to try Cambragol's high-poly planet trick, I built a sphere which featured specularity and glow maps. I cannot remember how well the specularity worked, but assume it did or I would have noted it. The luminence maps I know worked.

I took this PSO and converted it back to LWO (using pso2lwo2). When converted back to LWO format the color maps were still there, but the specularity and glow map textures had disappeared.

I've converted a number of EoC PSO's, but no map information other than color appears. Has anyone seen a similar result?

@Jasper: Am I jumping the gun? :D Does the converter yet handle maps other than color?

It only handles colour.

The issue is that i'm not quite sure how to do the texture stacking thing in lWO2 files, i know how to include the uv info for the different textures for each surface.

The next release will have the different maps in.

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/