Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #20678 by IronDuke
Wowwww... I feel really, really bad for forgetting to check this forum for a whole month. :( And for not doing more work on the remake... college has seriously chewed off my face.

Meh, it may be 3 AM but I'm not sleepy and don't really have much else to do... I might as well open it once again. :) Now that I've a twin-stick setup I can easily test the thrusters properly, and my card means I can play around with graphics shenanigans as much as I like. For now though, I think getting some basic gameplay in besides dueling invincible gunstars in an invincible command section is in order. XD

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #20679 by jetski
Weirdly, I had only just started playing I-War 1 agian when this thread woke up. However I am playing on a windows 10 64 bit machine with an Nvidia 960 GTX card. I have the original I war disk game from whenit was relesed and the delux edition box, but I am playing the GOG version as it does not require the CD to be in the drive. I installed the latest Glide wrapper version and it all plays very nicely. The only problem I have is with joysticks. The game has joystick interaction hardcoded and can only cope with one device. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with Saitek rudder pedals (which the game does not see). Luckily I also have some Thrustmaster rudder pedals. However the Cougar has too many axes, and the game maps them in a 'random' fashion to latteral thrusters, it is virtually impossible to control the ship because the axes are so sensitive. I tried resurecting my old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D pro using a Rockfire Gameport to USB adaptor. it worked in "mode 2" but I had issues calibrating it - I suspect because the Sidewinder is digitally generating the analogue signal. So far the best setup I have achieved is to disconnect the throttle from the Cougar and play in an emulated config with stick and pedals only, using buttons to set the speed. I am still experimenting...

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #20680 by Chessking
Yeah, I-war 1 doesn't detect my joystick either. My solution was to just use the keyboard. :)
So, jetski, you said you installed the latest Glide wrapper version. Does that version have an advantage over the one that comes with the GOG version?

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20681 by jetski
I find that the game sees directX axes and buttons on a controller/joystick, but I am still trying to determine which to map for each axis. The Cougar can be programmed to look like any set of combinations of axes and buttons when you programme the mappings and then set it to "emulation mode". ( in no-emmulation mode, it just maps the controller axes and buttons to default DirectX ones and then you can assign them in the game/sim setup)

It predates games that allow precise axis mappins and shaping in the game, so it allows you to do that in it's own software. The problem is that finding the correct combination of 4 out of 8 possible DX axes and which controls to map to them is painstaking. I am nearly there, I have re-instated the throttle, and on the last attempt I had X, Y, Rudder, and set-speed - but set speed was controlled by the rudder pedals and rudder by the throttle!

So, jetski, you said you installed the latest Glide wrapper version. Does that version have an advantage over the one that comes with the GOG version?

- mainly that it works, Previously I had problems with the earlier version. I don't think that performance changed, just comaptibility with Windows 10, and support for more Glide versions.

More
5 years 6 months ago #20702 by Assumpti0n
I just picked up the game from Steam. Couldn't find my original copy that I bought back when it was released, and wanted to try to play it again. Used vJoy to configure a SpaceExplorer (3D CAD space mouse) towards IW2, so now I've got full control (pitch, yaw, roll, all thruster directions) on one hand. Looking forward to get back into it, while at the same time thinking I'd LOVE to see a remake of this game.

More
5 years 6 months ago #20703 by Chessking
Welcome, Assumpti0n! Thanks for posting about your space mouse. I have always wondered if such a device was possible, and now I know it is. In case you weren't aware, IronDuke is working on a remake at this thread .

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel