WARNING: Discord server issue!

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #20938 by IronDuke
Good evening all,

Unfortunately, my discord account was randomly suspended without warning, notice, or explanation by Discord's Trust and Safety team 22 hours ago. I've attempted to contact them requesting an explanation and all I got back was that I violated the ToS and the account will not be reinstated. I absolutely did not violate any ToS conscientiously, so I must have been caught in a blanket banhammer, which Discord is infamous for.

Unfortunately this means that the i-war 2 server is currently COMPLETELY UNMODERATED AND UNMANAGED as I was the only account with permissions for that; I never got around to adding any moderators. As discord automatically deletes permanently suspended accounts 14-30 days after the suspension is enacted, the server will likely be nuked along with it at that time.

I will continue pestering them for a proper explanation and try to get the account back but it is very unlikely. I apologize to everybody for my short-sightedness in failing to enact backups should I lose access like this, putting the tremendous wealth of information on the server at risk.

I very strongly recommend everyone save everything they want from the server while it's still there. I don't remember if I allowed @everyone pings but if anyone currently on the server is able to do so, please make an announcement in the general chat regarding this post.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #20939 by Twobeer
Damn! Sounds like time to say goodbye. But anyway - thanks for your good work over the years!

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #20940 by IronDuke
I'll still be here on this forum, of course. I don't always check daily, but anyone can PM me to get my attention more quickly if desired lol

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #20941 by Twobeer
Ok, pleased to hear that. But if the forum stays up the downloads will do as well, I think. Looks like the same server to me. So what will be missing?

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #20942 by IronDuke
Couldn't really say, I haven't had this happen before. I follow community rules. But based on what I'm hearing, when my account is eventually deleted by discord, all servers owned by the account, including i-war 2, will be nuked with it. It'll just blip out of existence one day, unless they really choose to leave a deleted account as the admin lol

This website is obviously not going to be affected in any way. Once I'm in a life position where I can dedicate more time to my various EoC projects including the remake, I'll set about locating a suitable replacement for the Discord server. I'm very disappointed in Discord as a company.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #20943 by schmatzler
Damn, it sucks that this happened.
Let's hope you'll get the account back.

I never really liked Discord for archiving purposes, it's not searchable on the web and finding files is painful. That's why I kept this forum for all these years, even though the activitity had drastically decreased.
Discord is great for having a quick chat with members of the community and is much more accessible in that regard than a clunky old forum - so there are pros and cons and even though I personally don't really like Discord, I get why it's there and why you all like it so much. :)

If the Discord really gets nuked, we should learn from this, open up a new one and make a few selected members the administrators, so it doesn't come down to a single point of failure again.

Fingers crossed everything turns out well in the end!

Edit: Since the question came up, this website is completely independent from the Discord. It will stay up. I think I have uploaded all of the mods posted on the Discord here already, so those won't be lost.

But there were numerous discussions about the inner workings of the engine when the reverse engineering was done, for example, which will unfortunately be lost to people interested in them.

Space. The final frontier.