Teamspeak and EOC MP

More
20 years 3 months ago #17957 by MajorTom
It Works! Very well actually, :D and it's a lot better than typing too [^]

Thanks to Tarcoon for helping to test.

We tested it on a single DSL connection.
We had the Teamspeak server, a teamspeak client, a dedicated server with EpicOnline and a MP client all on the same WinXP PC.
Everything ran for over 2 hrs without a single crash and we experienced no additional lag or any other annoyances to the MP game itself.
(this was while umpteen thousands of UT2004 players were online too.)

The voice quality was rather good (speex codex 16.3) with only an occasional chirp. We used voice activation (alternative to "push to talk") and had no problems with that either. (Since we had headsets there were no other sound sources that could have caused echos or feedback, so thats a good recommendation)

It adds a lot to the game when you can talk and decide on tactics, call an engineer for assistance, or have him deploy turrets at a strategic location. Obviously it is also good for negotiating trades in the trade games too.

It's really, really fun to use Teamspeak when you play the Academy game (the Botmatch) in the what_rocksv2 mod.

We'd like to test it more throughly with two teams (one channel each for the opposing teams) and at least 6 players. If you're interested please post here and we'll set up a game.

Have Gun, Will Travel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8925 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Teamspeak and EOC MP
I'll give it a shot if I can make it. Please post the Mods required and servers I need to find.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 3 months ago #8928 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Teamspeak and EOC MP
Thanks Jumbo :D

We'll use the Epic Online MP mod. Everything you need for EOC is included in that package. You'll need a teamspeak client that you can download as freeware from www.teamspeak.org

Hope more will volunteer (especially guys from GB).

I'll post things within the next day or so. As soon as I've set up the teamspeak server with 2 (3) channels

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8937 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Teamspeak and EOC MP
Is that the 3e release? Also the instal notes refer to middlestates.zip which is supposed to be 40megs+ the only version I can find is 1.1megs zipped and 6.57megs unzipped, is this the right one?

TS I already have, untested with this soundcard tho'

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 3 months ago #8943 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Teamspeak and EOC MP
Hi jumbo,

for Epic Online have a look in here:
i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1084

The other stuff you downed is not for Epic Online but for "Dogs of War" and "Dark Currents".
For more information, have a look in here:
i-war2.com/epic/default.asp

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 3 months ago #8945 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Teamspeak and EOC MP
Thanks, Tarcoon, for posting the links

Jumbo, you don't need Epic release 3e for the multiplayer part of the game. Epic Online still uses the original engine.

Currently it's even better not to have the middle states zip or epic 3e activated when you play online.

Note: Thats not because of functionality but only for purely cosmetic reasons: if the middle states zip and release 3e are activated in your mods folder, the planet you see near the MP "arena" looks really ugly [V] Also the lighting and background colors are a bit different

Have Gun, Will Travel